[LD29] Burrow Down

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
danbo
Prole

[LD29] Burrow Down

Post by danbo »

Hi there. I used love2d for my last Ludum Dare entry, and while I had a brief fling with Unity I decided to come back to what I knew and make a dungeon crawly shooty game with a slight twist.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... &uid=26427
http://stuff.danbo.vg/burrowdown.love
https://github.com/tinydanbo/Burrow-Down

This felt like it took a lot more effort than Impoverished Starfighter. Not sure why, but it features Tiled maps, maybe that was it.

Used HUMP (as always, best ever)... bump.lua for collision detection! i really like it, nice and lightweight. STI for tiled maps, no complaints.

Let me know what you think. The code isn't great but can be easily extensible if you want to play around with adding spell types and enemies.
master both
Party member

Re: [LD29] Burrow Down

Post by master both »

Maybe I'm overreacting, but this has been the most enjoyable game from LD that I have played so far. Great job! :ultraglee: I tried to play all the levels, but they are SO difficult (in a good way).

EDIT: Come on! the last level is insane.
MGinshe
Prole

Post by MGinshe »

this is actually super fun. i would definitely buy this if it had more content!
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

master both is not overreacting. This is really, really good. Dropped a comment on your submission page:
This is absolutely fantastic. Definitely the most entertaining game I've played this LD so far.
The different spells and the recharge mechanic work so well and the bullet hell-ish feel is so much fun.
Suggestion: I managed to click outside the window and lose focus a couple of times. I'd suggest you either grab the cursor or make the game pause when losing focus.
zorfmorf
Prole

Post by zorfmorf »

Okay I just played through this and it's a lot of fun! The abilities feel "good", controls work, audio, visuals and gameplay work well together. You should do a post-ld version!

Suggestions:
- Make the enemies a little more intelligent. It should be enough if they can walk around corners properly. Currently it's too easy to abuse.
- Capture the mouse as SimonLarsen suggested. I clicked out of the window several times as well.
danbo
Prole

Post by danbo »

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I saw a lot of people using the sword through walls when enemies cluster up at the other side. Probably need to make the enemies a bit smarter / better balanced in addition to slowing the sword when it's in a wall.

Mouse capture, fullscreen, scaling modes... all nice things, though I'm a bit burned out right now to implement them!
PriorBlue
Prole

Post by PriorBlue »

One of the best LD games i played by now. The game mechanics are very solid, how i like it. :D

I also love the minimalistic pixel art style and i hope you will animate the hero and enemies in the future ;)

I made a dungeon crawler game for LD too, but it was not half as fun as yours.
danbo
Prole

Post by danbo »

I went back and did a quick dev commentary thing on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKCXoGcWJkU

Not _too_ much about the coding side of things, but people might find it interesting.
moikmellah
Prole

Post by moikmellah »

Just played through this - had a few great 'oh, s**t' moments, like the first time I came across one of those warlock-ish guys. Very well done!
hyouko
Prole

Post by hyouko »

Very fun and well-made! Could use a fullscreen or zoomed-in mode, though - I kept on clicking outside of the window and losing focus, which led to at least one untimely death.