I want to make a text editor in Love2D.

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Lua Hal
Citizen

I want to make a text editor in Love2D.

Post by Lua Hal »

Now that it has the ability to resize windows dynamically, I really want to make a text editor. I have enough knowledge to do it, but if there's anything you'd like to point out for help I'd love to hear it! I am particularly worried about editing long files - won't Lua load the entire file into memory if I use io.open? Thanks for any help.
Ranguna259
Party member

Re: I want to make a text editor in Love2D.

Post by Ranguna259 »

I suggest using the [wiki]love.thread[/wiki] module to load files.
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Lua Hal
Citizen

Post by Lua Hal »

Thanks for that, I'll keep that in mind.
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

Lua Hal wrote:Now that it has the ability to resize windows dynamically, I really want to make a text editor. I have enough knowledge to do it, but if there's anything you'd like to point out for help I'd love to hear it! I am particularly worried about editing long files - won't Lua load the entire file into memory if I use io.open? Thanks for any help.
Sure it will load all the file. This is what most text editors do anyways (unfortunately). For really large files, you could use file:seek() and file:read(buffersize) to read the file partially. But if it fits in the memory, reading it all makes things simpler (searching, browsing, etc).
Also, saving files will be limited only to the user's data directory (i.e., you will not be able to save to any location).
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
Lua Hal
Citizen

Post by Lua Hal »

Ah, okay. I suppose I'll have to just use the regular io library then.