love-android-sdl2 (native, 0.9.2)

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
alberto_lara
Party member

Re: love-android-sdl2 (native, 0.9.0)

Post by alberto_lara »

Hello guys, excellent work, from the alphas to an 'a' version of this :')

I jsut have one question, do you know if it's possible to put any kind of ads in the game?

EDIT: something like this: www.pollfish.com/#/monetize would be pretty awesome
ktaragorn
Prole

Post by ktaragorn »

Hi, Does anyone know if luasocket is supported in this port? I am trying to use it to talk to a server, but while it works on my PC, on my phone the functions appear to turn into no-ops. I notice that luasocket is present in the source code for love as provided by this project, but I am not sure if it is currently getting compiled in and available to use.
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

ktaragorn wrote:Hi, Does anyone know if luasocket is supported in this port? I am trying to use it to talk to a server, but while it works on my PC, on my phone the functions appear to turn into no-ops. I notice that luasocket is present in the source code for love as provided by this project, but I am not sure if it is currently getting compiled in and available to use.
The most common mistake is to omit intrernet permissions from the android manifest file. Make sure you have added it before compilation.
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
fysx
Citizen

Post by fysx »

LuaSocket is supported and it works fine for me. However I am not using the http module instead I use the TCP sockets directly. The http module however is built on top of the TCP socket so I do not see why it shouldn't work. As others have suggested make sure you give the app sufficient permissions.
Bird thing: @fysxdotorg Blog thing: fysx.org
fysx
Citizen

Post by fysx »

Updated the first post with the changelog for latest release (which was published 25-05-14). Also if you are interested in ads have a look at https://bitbucket.org/MartinFelis/love- ... ad-support.

Changelog for 0.9.1a:
- using latest SDL_androidgl.c (fixes some random performance issues)
- using latest love-android @ changeset 8659be0e75a3 (adds support for compressed textures)
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

I have some wierd lag peaks after doing CPU intensive tasks which continue untill I go into the android task manger for like 5 secs and go back into the game, any idea?

P.S: this problem does not occur on PC at all.
tio
Citizen

Post by tio »

jjmafiae wrote:I have some wierd lag peaks after doing CPU intensive tasks which continue untill I go into the android task manger for like 5 secs and go back into the game, any idea?

P.S: this problem does not occur on PC at all.
Happened with me when porting my game to android. About how much CPU time is used in PC version during that peaks?
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

not alot still alot of code for the game to go through (about 7% of my 4.1 GHz CPU is used and my phone has a 1.9 GHz CPU if im not mistaking)
fysx
Citizen

Post by fysx »

Are you using the latest 0.9.1a? It fixed some weird lags on some devices.

Mobile CPUs are far less powerful than desktop CPUs so one must not gauge from the desktop performance how well it runs on a mobile device. Comparing the clock rates of desktop and mobile CPUs do not give any clue. Same applies for the graphics hardware.

Also the garbage collection might be something worth looking into.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

I do use garbagecollect and I have optimized it alot, but if I go into the application manger on my phone it fixes lag(untill next time I do something CPU intensive) and yes I am using 0.9.1a