Finished 'RedWave' for Mini LD 53 :)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
permadeth
Prole

Finished 'RedWave' for Mini LD 53 :)

Post by permadeth »

Used the LOVE engine to finish my first complete game. The 48 hours was a welcome pressure to complete something, and I think looking back that it actually inspired the 'wave' featured in the game...

I can't look at the code any more right now, but as of ~20 minutes ago I 'beat' the game... unfortunately I was unable to add the 'gameWin == true' properly, but just know that if you manage to jump and hit the round green island at the end you have won... Honor system people.

Hopefully going to get back and fine tune some loose ends and add more to the level as well as speed up the 'wave'...

Anyway, if you have time check out my Mini Ludum Dare 53 entry page here:
[url]http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/minild-5 ... &uid=34327[/attachment]
Start screen
Start screen
RedWave_shot.PNG (264.85 KiB) Viewed 3695 times
And/or just download the game here:
MiniLD53.love
(56.05 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
CONTROLS: ENTER = Start game, A = left, D = right, W = jump

UPDATE: Here is the version that I worked on since the weekend.:
MiniLD53_1.1.love
Update
(57.09 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
... made a few minor tweaks. Now winning is actually possible(!), jump is set to when the 'W' key is pressed, rather than released, and the wave actually has a chance of catching you plus minimap updated to include skyrails. Hope you like it!

Cheers. The engine and the wiki were so important to be able to finish this game so thanks very much for those, and Kyle__ on the IRC who helped me with something crucial down the stretch! :awesome:
Last edited by permadeth on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Finished 'RedWave' for Mini LD 53 :)

Post by Lafolie »

Is there a way to restart once you lost? It's pretty annoying to have to reopen the application to try again. Aside from the blurry scaled fonts, I really liked the graphical style. It's a little confusing as to which of the cyan lines you can ride on, but everything else looked cool. You forgot to post the controls too.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
permadeth
Prole

Re: Finished 'RedWave' for Mini LD 53 :)

Post by permadeth »

Thanks for the feedback, just edited the above post to include controls. I think having a menu and a way to reset are key. I just talked to a buddy of mine who gave me the same feedback RE fonts and minimap and I'm going to work on that. The code is pretty messy as I didn't have time to keep it sorted in 48 hours for one and that's something I have to do first to get the game where I want it, and go from there. Thanks again, I will post an update if and when I have some time to work on it :cool: