quadrant - out now on Steam/Humble/itch.io!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
undef
Party member

quadrant - out now on Steam/Humble/itch.io!

Post by undef »

Hi,

I'd like to introduce my rhythm game to you!
It's called quadrant and I will hopefully release it this autumn.

This game is quite trippy and it get's harder the better you play, as the animations get more and more intense the higher you score.
Every beat of the song, you have to state the position of the middle sized square - the faster the song is, the faster you have to play. (The stage in the trailer is quite hard, but not the most difficult one.)

Some inspirations: Super Hexagon, Bit.Trip Runner, Simian Interface

More information coming soon!

Edit:

Stuff get's serious now!
I've put in on Greenlight.
I know chances for success are fairly low, but I just have to try ;)

Greenlight link:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =296271290
I'd really apreciate it if you would vote for me! :)

Update:

It's been a long time since the last update, Hofstadter's law certainly applies to game develompent... Well, you guys know how it is :)

After a week of severe sleep deprivation I finally managed to release a demo on indieDB!

There is a bug in the menu when changing from fullscreen to windowed or back, but it's not game breaking and I will fix it next week.
Well that's what you get from frantic coding...
Which brings us to the source code.
In the current version it is still obfuscated, but I plan to release the source code once I cleaned it up - currently it still looks too much like a hotel room in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

But let me tell you more about the actual demo.
I strongly recommend you visit the training section before diving into the game, because that's the best way to learn the controls and you're still not tied down to a never ending tutorial.

Gamepad controls are supported, and there are several control schemes which are not yet reconfigurable.
You can even play one handedly if you fancy eating christmas sweets while playing, but I recommend a gamepad or W, O, D, K.

This demo logs a lot of things.
After having played at least once, the "EXPORT STATS" selction becomes available in the main menu, which exports a summary of how you and the game performed to your save directory.
On Windows it even opens the folder in your file explorer.
Of course these statistics and graphs only become interesting once you've played for a sufficient amount of time.
If you like, you can share this summary with me (or even everyone else in this forum), to help me improve the game using this data.

That being said, I'm also keen to hear any other feedback on the game and I take criticism well so just go for it!
This game is very important to me and I want to make it the best possible experience.

I'd like to thank the LÖVE community for their support, especially Xelu for those nice button propts, and of course the LÖVE development team... I'm really glad I can use Lua to make this game :)

Well, I think I've said everything I haven't forgotten.
I hope you enjoy the demo!

Edit:
This is where you can find the stat summary:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\LOVE\quadrant\export or %appdata%\LOVE\quadrant\export
Windows Vista and 7: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\LOVE\quadrant\export or %appdata%\LOVE\quadrant\export
Linux: $XDG_DATA_HOME/love/quadrant/export or ~/.local/share/love/quadrant/export
Mac: /Users/user/Library/Application Support/LOVE/ quadrant/export
Last edited by undef on Fri May 01, 2015 11:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
ArchAngel075
Party member

Re: quadrant

Post by ArchAngel075 »

yaknow....

Whenever I give people the advice "start with simple shapes and colors, so much can be done with them" I never thought i'd actually see a example!

Looks great and fun, I was especially brain hurt near the end so looking forward to feed my difficulty (masochistic) craving brain...
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

At first I was like "Okay. It's nice I guess. Hopefully it gets some more polish." Then the colors came in and I was impressed. Then the animations started... now you have my attention.

undef
Party member

Post by undef »

Thank you very much the two of you!
ArchAngel075 wrote:yaknow....

Whenever I give people the advice "start with simple shapes and colors, so much can be done with them" I never thought i'd actually see a example!

Looks great and fun, I was especially brain hurt near the end so looking forward to feed my difficulty (masochistic) craving brain...

The idea for the game was actually born out of desperation, because I just can't draw :)
This game will definitely include punishingly difficult stages exactly made to scratch that itch!

davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Nice game! Looks very polished! Nice colors too.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the "electric" genre of music, and I'm sure not everyone who will play your game is. Are you investigating putting different songs in the game of another genre? Another cool thing would be to be able to import your own songs, but I don't know how realistic that is.

Nice game!
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

The game is really awesome, as for the import songs thing I don't think that that is possible due to the current simplicity of the love.sound module.
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

Ranguna259 wrote:The game is really awesome, as for the import songs thing I don't think that that is possible due to the current simplicity of the love.sound module.
Unnecessary. The game depends almost entirely on the BPM of the song and nothing more, the increasing difficulty a la trippiness is added by the game itself. All you really need to do is let the user import songs and have them tap to the beat to find the BPM, or let them enter it in if they already know it. To import the actual sound file, you could have the game open the game's save folder in the user's file browser and have them drag it in.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

This game looks gorgeous. I just love the music.
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

davisdude wrote:Nice game! Looks very polished! Nice colors too.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the "electric" genre of music, and I'm sure not everyone who will play your game is. Are you investigating putting different songs in the game of another genre? Another cool thing would be to be able to import your own songs, but I don't know how realistic that is.

Nice game!
Thanks for the feedback!
So far I plan to include 4 songs in the game, and even though I think that they are all quite different from one another, they are all electronic.
I definitely want to enable people to make their own stages, maybe even for their own songs, however I do not intend to encourage people to just switch out the songs with others.
There are ways to automatically create a content for songs, like with fourier transfomation and some work, but then the stages would all look kind of the same. It might still be nice, but not what I have in mind.
Each stage is supposed to be a visual interpretation of the song, therefore every song is animated differently.
Due to that, every stage feels unique and there is a motivation to reach higher scores to unlock more animations.
It also increases the difficulty, because as a player you will first have to get used to the different visual effects you encounter.
Roland_Yonaba wrote:This game looks gorgeous. I just love the music.
I'm glad you like it Roland!
And thank you very much for your delunay implementation!
I think I might use it for another stage if you don't mind :) .
I've been already peeking into you github account a while ago, and your code is really comprehesible!

davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

undef wrote:
davisdude wrote:Nice game! Looks very polished! Nice colors too.

Nice game!
Thanks for the feedback!
So far I plan to include 4 songs in the game, and even though I think that they are all quite different from one another, they are all electronic.
I definitely want to enable people to make their own stages, maybe even for their own songs, however I do not intend to encourage people to just switch out the songs with others.
There are ways to automatically create a content for songs, like with fourier transfomation and some work, but then the stages would all look kind of the same. It might still be nice, but not what I have in mind.
Each stage is supposed to be a visual interpretation of the song, therefore every song is animated differently.
Due to that, every stage feels unique and there is a motivation to reach higher scores to unlock more animations.
It also increases the difficulty, because as a player you will first have to get used to the different visual effects you encounter.

I understand. I just thought it might be cool.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim