[LD30]「RED ENTITY」

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
danbo
Prole

[LD30]「RED ENTITY」

Post by danbo »

Hey folks! Just got done with my latest LD30 jam game, and this time I had some actual artists on board.

...you can tell, right?

Our interpretation of the LD30 theme was two seperate but joined entities and how they approach things. So, a mech game seemed like a good notion for this. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out! The code was a bit of a nightmare... anyway. Make sure to use the pilot kick to get around (C/L), it's extremely important.

Libraries used were HUMP (the best), HardonCollider (didn't have enough time to figure out how bump.lua 2.0 does things), and Anim8. Perhaps one day I'll be able to do these libraries and LOVE in general some proper justice!

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... &uid=26427
https://github.com/tinydanbo/Ludum-Dare-30 (extremely bad code! don't look!)

Please let me know what you think.
Cryogenical
Prole

Re: [LD30]「RED ENTITY」

Post by Cryogenical »

Extremely nice, gonna take a long look at your code and try to learn from it.

I really really like this entry, it's smooth and has very nice art. The menus are funny as hell, though.
danbo
Prole

Post by danbo »

Cryogenical wrote:Extremely nice, gonna take a long look at your code and try to learn from it.
Please don't! You will learn bad things.
Cryogenical
Prole

Post by Cryogenical »

There's not much to really learn from, but I'm trying to learn how to organize code.
Should I put a lot on my main.lua? Should I separate most of it? If so, then what should I separate?
hard lyfe
danbo
Prole

Post by danbo »

Cryogenical wrote:There's not much to really learn from, but I'm trying to learn how to organize code.
Should I put a lot on my main.lua? Should I separate most of it? If so, then what should I separate?
hard lyfe
There's no hard right or wrong answer with this stuff, different people organize their lua projects in different ways. Since I'm from a Java background I fall into the trap of relying on classes too much, something that I really need to work on.

Anyone else got feedback?
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Well done, especially for 72 hours!

I think you should make the background scroll, though - just a little. When up in the air with no platform around, it's pretty hard to see where you're going, I really loose sense of where I am.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de