How to remove images?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Wittloc
Prole

How to remove images?

Post by Wittloc »

Code: Select all

function love.load()
	freddyA = love.graphics.newImage("431.png")
	staticA = love.graphics.newImage("590.png")
	staticB = love.graphics.newImage("591.png")
	staticC = love.graphics.newImage("592.png")
	staticD = love.graphics.newImage("593.png")
	sound = love.audio.newSource("staticB.wav")
	music = love.audio.newSource("menu.wav")
	sound:play()
	music:play()
end

function love.draw()
	love.graphics.draw(freddyA)
	love.graphics.draw(staticA)
end
I want to remove staticA to put staticB after a few seconds, to make a static effect. How do I remove drawn images?
DmL
Prole

Re: How to remove images?

Post by DmL »

In your love.load() you'll want to assign a variable like "currentImage"

currentImage = staticA
In your love.draw() you want to draw your currentImage

love.graphics.draw(currentImage, 0, 0)
Then you'll need a callback to load.update(dt)
There you can assign the current time to a local variable.
Then, in an if statement, you can check to see if a certain amount of time has passed, and if so, you can change your currentImage
Something like:

love.update(dt) -- The dt is the time which has passed since this was last called.  Probably we don't need this right now.
local oldTime = love.timer.getTime()

if (love.timer.getTime() >= oldTime + 1) then -- I believe the 1 should stand for one second, in this case.  Is the new time 1 second more than the old time?
currentImage = staticB
end
That would switch out A for B after 1 second. To switch back and forth, you would add another if statement in that block. To shuffle through all of the images, add them to a table and interate through it!

Hope this helps. I'm not a programmer, so there is probably a bug, but this is the basic idea.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

DmL wrote:

love.update(dt) -- The dt is the time which has passed since this was last called.  Probably we don't need this right now.

if (love.timer.getTime() >= oldTime + 1) then -- I believe the 1 should stand for one second, in this case.  Is the new time 1 second more than the old time?
currentImage = staticB
end
That won't work, since the oldTime will be overwritten every frame as well; you want this instead:

local time = 0
function love.update(dt)
time = time + dt
if time > 1 then
currentImage = staticB
end
end
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
DmL
Prole

Post by DmL »

I'm still learning Lua, but I had a feeling that would be the case. You could also do an

if (oldTime == nil) then
local oldTime -- etc
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

DmL wrote:...You could also do an

if (oldTime == nil) then
local oldTime -- etc
The problem with that is that no one is stopping you from defining a global oldTime variable elsewhere; if it _is_ defined, it will never swap.
...Actually, the bigger issue is that you'd be defining the local inside the if's scope, and not the function's.

function love.update(dt)
local oldTime
if oldTime == nil then
-- ...even if i could transform this so it seemed to work, i don't know whether only defining oldTime as a local will set it to something, or allow through some hackery what i've written before.
Last edited by zorg on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Wittloc
Prole

Post by Wittloc »

zorg wrote:
DmL wrote:

currentImage = staticB
end
That won't work, since the oldTime will be overwritten every frame as well; you want this instead:

local time = 0
function love.update(dt)
time = time + dt
if time > 1 then
currentImage = staticB
end
end
So, if I wanted it to switch from A to B to C to D then repeat, what would I use?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

You could do:

local t = {}
local current = 1
local delay = 1.0 -- seconds

function love.load()
	t[1] = love.graphics.newImage("590.png")
	t[2] = love.graphics.newImage("591.png")
	t[3] = love.graphics.newImage("592.png")
	t[4] = love.graphics.newImage("593.png")
end

function love.draw()
	love.graphics.draw(t[current], 0, 0)
end

local time = 0
	function love.update(dt)
	time = time + dt
	if time > delay then
		current = (current % #t) + 1 -- increase with wrap, think "i = i + 1" with i always being between 1 and the number of elements inclusive.
		time = time - delay
	end
end
for example.
Dattorz
Citizen

Post by Dattorz »

If you want to "erase" an image that has been drawn to the screen, all you have to do is not draw it on the next frame.

Every time the game gets ready to draw, by default the screen will be cleared to the background color by calling love.graphics.clear(). This is done for you and you don't need to call this yourself unless of course you have overwritten love.run().

As other have mentioned, if you want to create the impression of animation, you just change the image that you draw with to something else. If you're stuck on this, there are tutorials and helper libraries that can do this for you.
DmL
Prole

Post by DmL »

zorg wrote: Actually, the bigger issue is that you'd be defining the local inside the if's
Huh. True, thanks for the pointer.