LÖVE 0.9.1 released

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: LÖVE 0.9.1 released

Post by slime »

osuf oboys wrote:However, it is no longer possible to 'require "bit"' (works fine in lua) - would it be possible to add back this library?
There is no bit operations library in Lua 5.1 (which LÖVE used to use until 0.9). LuaJIT (which LÖVE uses by default in 0.9.0 and 0.9.1) includes a bit library which you can use like so:

Code: Select all

local bit = require("bit")
osuf oboys wrote:Also, are there plans to give access to a depth buffer or similar? It would significantly improve rendering performance in some fairly common cases such as basically any dynamic 2.5D game.
I'm not sure - using the native depth buffer actually doesn't work very well at all with most 2D games, because it only cares about geometry and not transparency (so it tests or writes the full rectangle of any image you draw, even if most of it is transparent.)
Alpha blending also requires blended objects to be drawn in back-to-front order otherwise the blending will be incorrect.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

slime wrote:Can you double-check that 0.9.0 works as expected on the same system (download here: 32 bit / 64 bit), and if so try replacing the SDL2.dll in 0.9.1 with the one from 0.9.0 and see if that makes a difference.

Does it happen with any LÖVE game (including the no-game screen), or just your own project? If you go fullscreen, does it still happen?
I can confirm that on Windows 8.1 switching over from the 0.9.1 SDL2.dll to the 0.9.0 SDL2.dll grants an immense FPS improvement (3 times more) on all love projects and not just mine.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Gold_Car
Prole

Post by Gold_Car »

slime wrote:
osuf oboys wrote:However, it is no longer possible to 'require "bit"' (works fine in lua) - would it be possible to add back this library?
There is no bit operations library in Lua 5.1 (which LÖVE used to use until 0.9). LuaJIT (which LÖVE uses by default in 0.9.0 and 0.9.1) includes a bit library which you can use like so:

local bit = require("bit")
I've been trying to use the require() thingy for quite some time now and haven't made any progress. But I need it - or something equivalent to it - to finish a small project that I've been trying to figure out (I.E. following Goature's tutorial). Should I just downgrade my LOVE?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Gold_Car wrote:I've been trying to use the require() thingy for quite some time now and haven't made any progress. But I need it - or something equivalent to it - to finish a small project that I've been trying to figure out (I.E. following Goature's tutorial). Should I just downgrade my LOVE?
You could try uploading a .love of your game so we can take a look at it.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Gold_Car
Prole

Post by Gold_Car »

Robin wrote:You could try uploading a .love of your game so we can take a look at it.
How do I turn my files into .love?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Put them in a .zip, and then rename the .zip to .love, as seen on the wiki page [wiki]Game_Distribution[/wiki]. If you prefer, you could just upload a zip file of your game, it's just more convenient for us if it's a .love.
Gold_Car
Prole

Post by Gold_Car »

Will do.
Gold_Car
Prole

Post by Gold_Car »

Alright, here's what I've got. I'm trying to make the entities.lua load with the main.lua, and I get that cheeky old bluescreen.
Attachments
First Game to Crash.love
(10.2 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Replace

require "entities.lua"
with

require "entities"
The string that is passed to require is a module name, not a file name. A module called "foo.bar" can generally be found in "foo/bar.lua" or "foo/bar/init.lua", so your code is looking for "entities/lua.lua" and "entities/lua/init.lua" etc.
Gold_Car
Prole

Post by Gold_Car »

Thanks! It works now.