Development Team Building

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
EliterScripts
Citizen

Development Team Building

Post by EliterScripts »

So, I've started a project called "CFlower#" (you can look it up, on bit bucket https://bitbucket.org/EliterScripts/cflower). Does anyone want to help me develop this? This program is not a game, necessarily. What the program is intended for, is people like my sister, who has brain injury/handicapped. All she can do is kick her right foot. She has a ball that when she kicks it, it makes noise. She knows, that if she kicks the ball, she get rewarded with music/pleasureable sounds. So, I am using LOVE2D for the mouse, and keyboard, and sound. But I figure, I might not be the only in the world who doesn't/didn't have anything but crappy selection from (There aren't many toys to use) WallMart. I hope this explains everything that CFlower# does. it's still in development, but I have a feeling I can't do this on my own. xD

Thanks,
-Eliter
Last edited by EliterScripts on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Help?

Post by Robin »

I don't completely understand what your plan is, but if you have a specific problem you're running into during development, many people here including myself will be glad to help you.

(Also, you might want to edit the topic title to be more descriptive, otherwise people might skip the whole thread.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
EliterScripts
Citizen

Re: Development Team Building

Post by EliterScripts »

Ok, first. I need to have the user (person who is at the computer screen) to choose the directory containing all of the music files. Then, after they pick it, it needs to check the whole directory for music files. if there is none, instead of LOVE2D crashing, it asks to choose the directory again.
^
|
I am having troubles with that (https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/issue/9 ... g-function).

Also, when I've tested slapping the keyboard (simulating when she kicks the keyboard), if multiple keys were hit at about the same time, extra points were added. I've tried to make it to where it would count if ANY keys were hit in the mast 0.01 second(s), so that extra points aren't added from one wack of the leg.

The Timer that I have set, for the top right of the screen randomly goes to something like "67.1000000001", and all I want is the whole second, and a tenth of a second to be displayed. I'm not really getting the rounding function concept from lua.

I think it would be cool if there wasn't any borders or resize line, until the user was about to resize it.

Under the FadeMessage area, there is not multiple messages being displayed simulatneously.

If you could look at all the glitches/enhancements above, that'd be great!
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

EliterScripts wrote:Ok, first. I need to have the user (person who is at the computer screen) to choose the directory containing all of the music files. Then, after they pick it, it needs to check the whole directory for music files. if there is none, instead of LOVE2D crashing, it asks to choose the directory again.
^
|
I am having troubles with that (https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/issue/9 ... g-function).
Yeah, that's not really possible at the moment. My suggestion is to have a specific folder in the save directory (say /music/) and tell the user to put the music in that folder (you can use [wiki]love.system.openURL[/wiki]("file://"..love.filesystem.getSaveDirectory() .. '/music/'))
EliterScripts wrote:Also, when I've tested slapping the keyboard (simulating when she kicks the keyboard), if multiple keys were hit at about the same time, extra points were added. I've tried to make it to where it would count if ANY keys were hit in the mast 0.01 second(s), so that extra points aren't added from one wack of the leg.
You could solve it that way, for example:

Code: Select all

local timeSinceKeypress = nil

function love.update(dt)
    if timeSinceKeypress then
        timeSinceKeypress = timeSinceKeypress - dt
        if timeSinceKeypress <= 0 then
            timeSinceKeypress = nil
        end
    end
end

function love.keypressed(key)
    if not timeSinceKeypress then
        timeSinceKeypress = 0.1 -- for 1/10 of a second
        score = score + whatever
   end
end
You could also solve this in hardware by providing an object with a larger area to kick, and linking that to a single key on the keyboard.
EliterScripts wrote:The Timer that I have set, for the top right of the screen randomly goes to something like "67.1000000001", and all I want is the whole second, and a tenth of a second to be displayed. I'm not really getting the rounding function concept from lua.
Computers work in binary, not decimal, so 1/10 is a repeating fraction, like 1/3 = 0.3333(...). So what you want to do is to print with less precision, but I'll need to see your current code to help you with that. (Your code is currently not up on bitbucket)
EliterScripts wrote:I think it would be cool if there wasn't any borders or resize line, until the user was about to resize it.
I think there is a thread for that on the forums right now.
EliterScripts wrote:Under the FadeMessage area, there is not multiple messages being displayed simulatneously.
(Your code is currently not up on bitbucket)

And thanks for editing the thread title!
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Ah, I see. Why have a bitbucket if you're not going to use it, though?

I'm going to take a look at your code now.
EliterScripts
Citizen

Post by EliterScripts »

I'm just taking advantage of the fact that you can post & download stuff, without any adds, or limitations. I'm not really cure how to use bitbucket, other than doing that. xD

EDIT: I'm on the LOVE2D IRC channel.(#LOVE)
Kyrremann
Prole

Post by Kyrremann »

If you are looking for just a way for her to interact with a toy to make sounds I would look at Arduino and Processing.
Specially MakeyMakey may be a good choice. See http://makeymakey.com/

Arduino is a simple (but still advance) microchip which is easily programmed from you computer. See http://arduino.cc/
The arduino can easily communicate with Processing, either via USB or the network.
Processing is a Java framework that is also easy to use, but you get the power of Java, which I think will make it easier for you to handle file paths and playing songs. See https://processing.org/
EliterScripts
Citizen

Post by EliterScripts »

This is also kinda homework that I'm finishing in school Believe it or not, so if there is a solution, I need to get this done, anyway.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

For The timer just round the value:

math.round(time)

Or

math.floor(time)

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then