[WIP] Us and Them - Singleplayer Story RPG

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Kyle
Party member

[WIP] Us and Them - Singleplayer Story RPG

Post by Kyle »

Download

Controls:
  • W or Up arrow - Move north
  • S or Down arrow - Move south
  • A or Left arrow - Move west
  • D or Right arrow - Move east
  • Space - Open door in front of you
Hey guys, I've crawled out of the depths of hell (engineering school) to bring you a little project I've been working on. It's called Us and Them and it's a singleplayer story-based RPG. It looks and plays a bit like Final Fantasy, but it'll feature a few very unique things that should set it apart. For now, I'm using Kenney's RPG pack, but I'll eventually modify it and expand upon it for unique content - keeping the look though!

So far, I've finished teleporting between maps, character movement and collision, map and entity loading, and a day/night cycle. I'm releasing it now to see if anyone else can break something! It's not a completed game by any means.

Changelog:
Release 2:
  • Added diagonal movement
  • Enabled arrow keys for movement
Release 1:
  • Initial release
Last edited by Kyle on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: [WIP] Us and Them - Singleplayer Story RPG

Post by Jasoco »

Very nice. But I'd suggest putting in arrow key controls and diagonal movement.
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

Yeah, I thought of arrow keys directly after releasing it. Diagonal movement is kinda meh - it doesn't look good without specific art for it, and these walk cycles are already 12 frames per direction.
Muris
Party member

Post by Muris »

Kyle wrote:Yeah, I thought of arrow keys directly after releasing it. Diagonal movement is kinda meh - it doesn't look good without specific art for it, and these walk cycles are already 12 frames per direction.
The animation was the reason I eventually decided to use 3d-models on my game (and moved on to use 3d game engine), although I could have pre-rendered stuff in blender to 2d-images then use them, but I figured might as well go full 3d if using 3d-stuff, instead of pseudo 3d. I thought that if I can make one character per day, I then can create endless amount of animations by just moving bones, unlike drawing stuff unless its sideways. I figured in the end I might save the time compared to drawing stuff. Although I am not sure if this is true, since I horirbly lack in artistic skills.

The game looks promising. Are you planning to use like umm... time of year to calculate night-cycles? For example here in finland, the sun can shine almost 24 hours during mid summer, and well opposite on winter. Depends how in north of finland you are, as it varies couple of hours.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

When doing diagonal with only 4 sprite directions simply prefer the direction you pressed first. Or just use left and right when one of them is held at the same time as up or down.

You have to have diagonal if the game is free-roaming. Otherwise it feels clunky. It's really hard to play the original Zelda because of this.
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

Good job on finishing what you have so far. The collisions are particularly precise. I don't think diagonal movement is a MUST. But I don't think it would look awkward with the current animations either. Your call. Also, you have my sympathy w.r.t. engineering school. I just graduated in May. "If you're going through Hell, keep going!" :D
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

Looks good. There is a small bug with movement though: You can't move up or down while holding the 'a' or 'd' key.
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

rmcode wrote:Looks good. There is a small bug with movement though: You can't move up or down while holding the 'a' or 'd' key.
Thanks, I was working on a fix for that. Next release should have revised controls. I suppose I'll probably end up prerendering 3D models, since I'd like to do customizable clothing.
Muris wrote:The game looks promising. Are you planning to use like umm... time of year to calculate night-cycles? For example here in finland, the sun can shine almost 24 hours during mid summer, and well opposite on winter. Depends how in north of finland you are, as it varies couple of hours.
Probably not. It's just a gradient image. Right now, it's based on summer in Missouri (United States) as that's where I'm from.

If you want, you can customize it when I get around to (direct) mod support.
Last edited by Kyle on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Gradient image is how I do cycles too. Did you have to make the image yourself or is there a site that supplies ready made ones based on different locations?

I made mine myself and added in oranges and pinks and blues at the sun rises and sets to give it more of a realistic feel.

Note that at sunset it has hues of yellow, orange and red.
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

Jasoco wrote:Gradient image is how I do cycles too. Did you have to make the image yourself or is there a site that supplies ready made ones based on different locations?

I made mine myself and added in oranges and pinks and blues at the sun rises and sets to give it more of a realistic feel.
Note that at sunset it has hues of yellow, orange and red.
I made my own too. Adding in pink and orange sounds like a good idea, I might do that. Right now it's just dark blue > orange > white > orange > dark blue.