Update to LuaJIT 2.0.4?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Whatthefuck
Party member

Update to LuaJIT 2.0.4?

Post by Whatthefuck »

Like the title says, LuaJIT 2.0.4 was released somewhat recently and it has a bunch of various fixes/improvements. (http://luajit.org/changes.html)

Is there a chance you guys could update LuaJIT to 2.0.4 in 0.10.0?

Thanks in advance for the answer.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: Update to LuaJIT 2.0.4?

Post by kikito »

That's a good point. From what I read, 2.0.4 is all bugfixes, so it should be an easy update (not that I know anything about C/C++)
When I write def I mean function.
Fenrir
Party member

Post by Fenrir »

As for the lastest version lua is provided as an external library (at least on Windows), just switching the lua51.dll/so should work, no? Is there any pre-build binaries somewhere?
Whatthefuck
Party member

Post by Whatthefuck »

Fenrir wrote:As for the lastest version lua is provided as an external library (at least on Windows), just switching the lua51.dll/so should work, no? Is there any pre-build binaries somewhere?
Nah, gotta build that shit.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Can I gloat about the wonders of dynamic linking? I've been running love against luajit 2.0.4 since the 21st of May.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Indeed, you can replace the version of LuaJIT normally used by LÖVE with your own right now if you want – on all operating systems.

I try to use the most recent versions of all dependencies for new releases of LÖVE, so 0.10.0 will come with LuaJIT 2.0.4 where possible (and LuaJIT 2.1-alpha on iOS, since it's the only version of LuaJIT to fully support iOS.)
Whatthefuck
Party member

Post by Whatthefuck »

slime wrote:Indeed, you can replace the version of LuaJIT normally used by LÖVE with your own right now if you want – on all operating systems.
What the hell, last time I tried switching .dlls up it resulted in crashes.
I~=Spam
Party member

Post by I~=Spam »

Whatthefuck wrote:
slime wrote:Indeed, you can replace the version of LuaJIT normally used by LÖVE with your own right now if you want – on all operating systems.
It shouldn't if you do it right.... luajit was intended to be a drop-in replacement so that a project for lua 5.1 literally just has to replace the lua dll to use luajit instead. I love dynamic linking. :D

Are you sure you didn't remove any wrong dlls? Also what LOVE version did you try this with? If you tried 0.8.0 I think this version uses standard lua 5.2 so it is not compatible with luajit.
My Tox ID: 0F1FB9170B94694A90FBCF6C4DDBDB9F58A9E4CDD0B4267E50BF9CDD62A0F947E376C5482610
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

I~=Spam wrote:
Whatthefuck wrote:
It shouldn't if you do it right.... luajit was intended to be a drop-in replacement so that a project for lua 5.1 literally just has to replace the lua dll to use luajit instead. I love dynamic linking. :D

Are you sure you didn't remove any wrong dlls? Also what LOVE version did you try this with? If you tried 0.8.0 I think this version uses standard lua 5.2 so it is not compatible with luajit.
it was possible to use luajit with 0.8.0 I remember people doing that (here: viewtopic.php?t=7735&f=4)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I~=Spam wrote:If you tried 0.8.0 I think this version uses standard lua 5.2 so it is not compatible with luajit.
We have never shipped a version of love using lua 5.2. This does mean however, that you can swap out luajit and lua 5.1, but not 5.2 (or 5.3) though all of those versions are supported by love at a source level.