Nintendo's E3 this year

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Nintendo's E3 this year

Post by T-Bone »

After a discussion started about this in another thread, I thought thus could be discussed here further without going too off-topic.

Personally, I think Nintendo's E3 this year was decent, but the actual Nintendo Direct, which was supposed to show off all their new stuff, was pretty terrible. Games that looked awful in the presentation actually look pretty fun when watching actual gameplay videos (I'm mostly thinking about Federation Force here).

There was a bit of a lack of content, and that's especially true when compared to Sony's presentation which was filled with surprises. Nintendo didn't have that big UMF BAM IN YOUR FACE announcement they would have needed. We knew about Star Fox and Mario Maker already, making them far less exciting.

Also, they really should have showed a trailer for the Wii U Zelda. I mean we got one last year, so the argument that "it's too far from release" doesn't really work.

Another thing that makes it easy to be disappointed with Nintendo is that there are so many "obvious" things they could have announced that would have gotten people really hyped. Metroid 5. A new F-Zero. Mother 4. Heck, a western Mother 3. Heck, even just adding Pokémon Red/Blue to the 3DS Virtual Console would have gotten hype, talk about a good workload-per-hype quota.
Jeeper
Party member

Re: Nintendo's E3 this year

Post by Jeeper »

Nintendo likes to run their own race, It is more a rule than an exception that Nintendo "underperforms" at E3. They said before hand that there would be no new info on Zelda WiiU, yet people are still surprised that they didn't show anything.

That being said, a new Metroid would be nice :)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I love my Wii U. I love all the games I've got for it. As long as they keep putting out Mario, Zelda and other great first- and second-party games I'll keep buying them.

I was sad they didn't show off a 3D World 2 or a Captain Toad 2 though.

I also don't want them jumping to the NX so soon. The Wii U is good enough and has so much life left.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

I wish they would open up for 3RD party indie games on the New Nintendo 3DS, imagine having love games on it.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

jjmafiae wrote:I wish they would open up for 3RD party indie games on the New Nintendo 3DS, imagine having love games on it.
Ta-da http://smilebasic.com/en/
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Jasoco wrote:I love my Wii U. I love all the games I've got for it. As long as they keep putting out Mario, Zelda and other great first- and second-party games I'll keep buying them.

Yeah I was also very sad to see no new Captain Toad :-/. I love nearly all Nintendo Games. They are so well done and polished and Local Multiplayer is always the funniest in the world.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

SiENcE wrote:
Jasoco wrote:I love my Wii U. I love all the games I've got for it. As long as they keep putting out Mario, Zelda and other great first- and second-party games I'll keep buying them.

Yeah I was also very sad to see no new Captain Toad :-/. I love nearly all Nintendo Games. They are so well done and polished and Local Multiplayer is always the funniest in the world.
Lafolie wrote:Ta-da http://smilebasic.com/en/
I'm waiting for this since the ds version.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

Nintendo was so disappointing this year.

They didn't announce any game except Starfox (which we already knew about). Please don't tell me Mario Tennis nor this Triforce Heroes thing (which still has potential) are the games gamers were waiting for.

As for me, I've been waiting for Animal Crossing U for a long time. I watched Nintendo E3 live, and I can't express my excitement I got when I saw the Animal Crossing logo with the Wii U theme. Then... It got miserable. Animal Crossing Wii U will be a Mario Party ripoff with cute characters : that's it, guys. That's how Nintendo is acting like these days. :roll:
It is more a rule than an exception that Nintendo "underperforms" at E3
Nintendo rocked last year.
Another thing that makes it easy to be disappointed with Nintendo is that there are so many "obvious" things they could have announced that would have gotten people really hyped. Metroid 5. A new F-Zero. Mother 4. Heck, a western Mother 3. Heck, even just adding Pokémon Red/Blue to the 3DS Virtual Console would have gotten hype, talk about a good workload-per-hype quota.
Can't disagree with you.