Math is fun! [THERE'S WORDS TOO]

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Favorite math course?

Algebra
44%
Trigonometry
No votes
Pre-Calculus
11%
Calculus
11%
Geometry
22%
*Sigh* Matrix Theory
11%

Total votes: 9

TheOdyssey
Citizen

Math is fun! [THERE'S WORDS TOO]

Post by TheOdyssey »

I'm in 8th and I'm taking Algebra I and I've noticed that the more I learn the better my code comes out, and I really want to know which math course would help the most with game development and programming. I have the choice of either Geometry, Pre-Calculus(maybe...) or Algebra II.

Thanks!

EDIT: And yes, I did just discover these fancy color changers
Last edited by TheOdyssey on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bakpakin
Party member

Re: Math is fun!

Post by bakpakin »

It's really cool that you're so into math; it is important to have a grasp on math if you want to make games (Not level design or game design, per say, but actually code a game).

I would say algebra or calculus would be the way to go, but more specifically Linear Algebra. Linear algebra is really useful for 2d graphics and absolutely essential for modern 3d graphics. Vectors are often the best way to represent position, speed, and rotation, so understanding how they work and what you can do with them is really helpful.

Linear Algebra is usually taught at the college level, though, so it might be a bit difficult to find easy to learn from material. I think Khan Academy is a great resource for linear algebra, but was a bit tedious (IMHO). However, if you haven't learned this kind of stuff before, it's really great.

EDIT:
Trigonometry might be a bit of prerequisite for linear algebra, so definitely learn some of that. Also, a full understanding of linear algebra is not needed to help you with game programming, just learning more about vectors will be really helpful.
((_((_CRAYOLA_((_((_> GitHub <_((_((_CRAYOLA_((_(()
TheOdyssey
Citizen

Re: Math is fun! [THERE'S WORDS TOO]

Post by TheOdyssey »

Thanks for the help, I looked into Linear Algebra and it looks a bit intimidating as of the moment but I guess I am a bit lower level than it requires. Also, I checked out your Ludum Dare games and I really enjoyed Weregoat and CommandoKibbles. Keep it up, man
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Often physics courses in high school teach a bit of linear algebra along with the physics. High school physics courses probably have more 2D gamedev programming-applicable content than almost any other course, I think (including most university-level courses.)

My favourite math course in high school was calculus, but largely because my teacher was amazing. I think my first-semester university linear algebra course was my favourite in terms of content though.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Don't forget about Khan Academy! You can learn lots of good stuff there for free, at your own pace.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
NickRock
Citizen

Post by NickRock »

Geometry is pretty fun!
Karai17 wrote:Don't forget about Khan Academy! You can learn lots of good stuff there for free, at your own pace.
And yeah, khan academy is a gem, so glad I found this site! :D
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooow!!
TheOdyssey
Citizen

Post by TheOdyssey »

NickRock wrote:Geometry is pretty fun!
Karai17 wrote:Don't forget about Khan Academy! You can learn lots of good stuff there for free, at your own pace.
And yeah, khan academy is a gem, so glad I found this site! :D
Yeah, it is really awesome
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I'm disappointed by the lack of options. Matrix theory FTW
TheOdyssey
Citizen

Post by TheOdyssey »

T-Bone wrote:I'm disappointed by the lack of options. Matrix theory FTW
Just Googled it and IMHO, it's maybe the nerdiest math field I've seen yet. Nevertheless I added it ;)
norubal
Party member

Post by norubal »

Probability Theory FTW.