LÖVE 0.10.0 released

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
megalukes
Citizen

Re: LÖVE 0.10.0 released

Post by megalukes »

This is impressive, guys. Congratulations. I'll spend my xmas developing a bit, thanks to you.

By adding support to Android, can the developer generate an .apk from the .love file? I'm really curious to see how this works, because I'm only used to develop in Corona when it comes to mobile stuff.

Thanks, guys. You are amazing.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

I'm reposting my question from another thread here:
slime, I have a question: I remember you saying that the new Mesh Attributes will be able to solve the following problem of texture distortion (AKA the resulting image not having perspective correctness), when drawing "textured polygons":

How would that look in code? Also, would it be theoretically possible to use the attribute system in order to have a sort of depth-buffer?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

That's great! :D
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Davidobot wrote:I'm reposting my question from another thread here:
slime, I have a question: I remember you saying that the new Mesh Attributes will be able to solve the following problem of texture distortion (AKA the resulting image not having perspective correctness), when drawing "textured polygons":

How would that look in code? Also, would it be theoretically possible to use the attribute system in order to have a sort of depth-buffer?
The most robust implementation of perspective-correct texturing for Meshes would involve using a custom vertex shader with an actual perspective projection matrix (with a field-of-view and such) instead of LÖVE's regular orthographic projection matrix, and using real 3D position coordinates in the Mesh instead of 2D coordinates.

You could also implement it without using a full perspective projection matrix, by using a 4-component per-vertex texture coordinate or something, e.g. like this http://www.reedbeta.com/blog/2012/05/26 ... on-part-1/ (and there are other similar implementations posted in various places.)
Last edited by slime on Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fysx
Citizen

Post by fysx »

megalukes wrote:By adding support to Android, can the developer generate an .apk from the .love file? I'm really curious to see how this works, because I'm only used to develop in Corona when it comes to mobile stuff.
Yes, you can and a few games are already on the PlayStore! The instructions can be found here: https://bitbucket.org/MartinFelis/love- ... _Packaging. The version numbers there are a bit old, but the process is essentially the same.

Also https://github.com/MisterDA/love-release might be of interest. Not sure how updated it is but could be worth a try.
Bird thing: @fysxdotorg Blog thing: fysx.org
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Awww yissssss! An early present for all of us :3

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

slime wrote:
Davidobot wrote:I'm reposting my question from another thread here:

The most robust implementation of perspective-correct texturing for Meshes would involve using a custom vertex shader with an actual perspective projection matrix (with a field-of-view and such) instead of LÖVE's regular orthographic projection matrix, and using real 3D position coordinates in the Mesh instead of 2D coordinates.

You could also implement it without using a full perspective projection matrix, by using a 4-component per-vertex texture coordinate or something, e.g. like this http://www.reedbeta.com/blog/2012/05/26 ... on-part-1/ (and there are other similar implementations posted in various places.)
I guess that works, but as me and probably Jasoco were hoping is that there would be a relatively fast and easy way to properly stretch images, like using the following shader: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12483
This would consist of literally doing this to draw an image:

love.graphics.draw(image, vertex1, vertex2, vertex3, vertex4)
I mean, having depth-buffering with OpenGL would be cool and all, but that's all that I really want.

Side note: you guys out-did yourself with the stencils!! You can totally use them as depth-buffers now!
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

Yaaaaay! Christmas is a time for löve after all!
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
giantofbabil
Prole

Post by giantofbabil »

Awesome! Now on to updating my code to work with this version...

if enemy == lowerClassSaiyan and powerLevel > 9000 then
    love.graphics.print("What?! 9000?! There's no way that could be right!", 10, 200)
else
    love.graphics.print("You fool!", 10, 200)
end
hmans
Prole

Post by hmans »

I love you.