LÖVE 0.10.1 released

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Re: LÖVE 0.10.1 released

Post by HugoBDesigner »

On that same note, why has .jpg support been removed in 0.10.x? I mean, yeah, most people use .png instead of .jpg, but for things like users loading custom images, .jpg's are still quite useful in my opinion.
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I don't think jpg support was removed.
Edit: just checked the wiki, encoding may have been removed, since it is of lower quality than png, but iirc love can still load jpg files.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

You can still load jpeg images, not that I'd recommend it since jpegs have lossy compression but still need to be fully decompressed when they're loaded by LOVE, unlike Compressed Texture formats like DXT5 which stay compressed in RAM and VRAM. You can't encode an ImageData to a jpeg in 0.10.
cval
Citizen

Post by cval »

Something funny goes on when i'm trying to change ParticleSystem's buffer size when it has active particles in it. When i change it at runtime to a greater value than its current buffer size, or particle count (greatest value between them from math.max function), it's perfectly fine, however when i'm trying to change it to a value which is less than current particle count, or buffer size, the program runs just fine, but once i try to quit, it crashes somewhere after processing quit event (which is currently completely blank btw). Yeah, sometimes i create weird use cases that break the engine but it's fine since i can easily do without it. Idk, maybe this information will be helpful to someone who does same thing and wonders what's going on.

Also i'm not sure where should i post suggestions, and maybe someone already mentioned something similar, but will there be something like "bursting" in particle system? Like, we have emission rate which specifies rate at which one particle will be emitted, but this feature will define how much particles will be emitted at that emission tick. Maybe with different burst modes like one that emits few particles at the same position, and other makes them appear based on AreaDistribution parameter of the system. Yes, we have ps:emit() but calling it every time when i have, say, 500+ entities is not something that will be cheap to do.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I recently fixed something similar, so I wouldn't be surprised. I took the liberty of making an issue for it, here.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I've just tried to reproduce this, but I can't, can you provide a .love that causes this crash?
Someguynamedpie
Citizen

Post by Someguynamedpie »

slime wrote:
Kari-Jukka wrote:I was wondering, why has bitmap support been removed for ImageData:encode?
LOVE 0.9 and earlier used a rather large LGPL-licensed library called DevIL for all image decoding and encoding. In 0.10 we switched to a couple much smaller more specialized libraries.

As a result, most obscure image formats that almost no one used are no longer supported for loading, and BMP wasn't re-implemented for saving. You can just save as TGA instead of BMP though, the two formats are both used for similar purposes but TGA is a bit more common.
SDL2 supports BMP encoding/decoding, could just use that.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I'd rather not add support for more image encoding formats unless there's a clear use-case that fits with LOVE's design. In this case I don't see any reason to use BMP over TGA.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

Aren't BMP and TGA simple enough that you can implement them yourself in Lua? here's the spec for bmp,
Someguynamedpie
Citizen

Post by Someguynamedpie »

slime wrote:I'd rather not add support for more image encoding formats unless there's a clear use-case that fits with LOVE's design. In this case I don't see any reason to use BMP over TGA.
Not saying that its necessary just that it'd be very low effort since its supported in a library that LOVE uses.