Tips to start Game programming - Beginners

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
sbhargav_13
Prole

Tips to start Game programming - Beginners

Post by sbhargav_13 »

LÖVE 2d
is a great engine. I need tips on how game development is done and the ways to be indie developer. Gathering game art, ideas, music and programming takes so much of effort. So where and how do I start?? :o: :o:
Sir_Silver
Party member

Re: Tips to start Game programming - Beginners

Post by Sir_Silver »

Plenty of all of those resources here. My tip would be to use the search bar at the top right of the web page to search for any of the things you just mentioned. :P
ken.athomos
Citizen

Post by ken.athomos »

Check this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83231

Some of us made a post here for a guy asking almost the same question. Hope this helps :)
xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

Step by step.
You wanna print stuff on the screen first, then start to draw things.
You can get music on the internet, same for the sprites.
One person can't do anything.
There are famous indie games such as hotline miami which were made by at least 2 people, one software developer and one artist (and they used music tracks by 20 different artists or so).
You can of course do both art and programming, but it will take some time.
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Don't start like "I wanna make Dark Souls 3".
Once you can do stuff and have some code to reuse, you can start making some bigger games.

How do you start?
Making things.
Make clones, make games, make random stuff.
Read the wiki, use the forums.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Plenty of games were made by one person...
Cave Story, the Indie game that started this whole revolution.
Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2 were both programmed in Assembly by one guy.
Minecraft was made by one person for the longest time. By the time he brought more people in and formed a company the game was extremely popular and feature filled.
Undertale was created game, graphics, music and all by one annoying dog.
Pretty much all Pico8 games are made by individuals.
And a lot of us here are doing it all ourselves even if most of our projects will never be finished or released.

However, not everyone can do everything. Most of us wish we could, but a lot of games will need at least one other person if not two. Super Meat Boy for example was programmed by Tommy, drawn by Edmund and had music by Danny Baranowsky. If you can't do it all, don't be afraid to do what you can and use temporary art or sound. Programmer art as it's called. I personally am able to draw simple things, but when it comes to characters, especially since they require so many angles, I'm stumped. Maybe if I had a tablet with a pen. But probably not.

Start with a blank canvas and expand out from there.
evölbug
Prole

Post by evölbug »

i could do some art if needed. i do a bit of vector and pixelart
xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

Jasoco wrote:Plenty of games were made by one person...
Cave Story, the Indie game that started this whole revolution.
Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2 were both programmed in Assembly by one guy.
Minecraft was made by one person for the longest time. By the time he brought more people in and formed a company the game was extremely popular and feature filled.
Undertale was created game, graphics, music and all by one annoying dog.
Pretty much all Pico8 games are made by individuals.
And a lot of us here are doing it all ourselves even if most of our projects will never be finished or released.

However, not everyone can do everything. Most of us wish we could, but a lot of games will need at least one other person if not two. Super Meat Boy for example was programmed by Tommy, drawn by Edmund and had music by Danny Baranowsky. If you can't do it all, don't be afraid to do what you can and use temporary art or sound. Programmer art as it's called. I personally am able to draw simple things, but when it comes to characters, especially since they require so many angles, I'm stumped. Maybe if I had a tablet with a pen. But probably not.

Start with a blank canvas and expand out from there.
Undertale eheh What a great game!
Of course I agree with you.
I think however that the point is to make videogames.
And if you never start, you'll never make/join a team to make one.
Simple enough xD
I don't know if Undertale was the first game by Toby fox, but I don't think so eheh

FAQ: How do I learn Love2d? Make games
How do I learn English? Speak English
How do I learn (insert thing here) ? Practice eheh

So, a message for the OP:

Code: Select all

for i=0, daysInYourWholeLife, + 1 
do 
   print("make games") 
end
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Jasoco wrote:Plenty of games were made by one person...
-Snip-
Don't forget ZUN, sole maker (after the NEC PC-98 days anyway) of the main Touhou games; code (and bullet patterns), music (which is the thing he starts out with, apart from a few jugs of beer :3) and art; which is kinda like programmer art in the sense that it's his weakest point, but he's arguably getting better at it. :D
xNick1 wrote:I don't know if Undertale was the first game by Toby fox, but I don't think so eheh
First game? I think so, at least first commercial release. First musical project? Far from it. (see Homestuck... or don't if you want to keep your free time)

But i agree, doing stuff is better than not doing stuff, or not deciding what stuff to do.

For some, a schedule may also help.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

In the days of the Atari 2600 and Activision games were all made by a single person. But they weren't supposed to make it known so a lot of them would hide their initials in the game or code somewhere. Of course they were much simpler back then and possible untapped ideas were limitless.