In The Dark

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
The Burrito
Party member

In The Dark

Post by The Burrito »

Right, so I've been hesitant to post this because it will probably end up being a closed source commercial game, But here's what I've been working on in my spare time. It's called In The Dark:

(The video became extra dark when I uploaded it)
Basically its a platform / puzzle game in which you play as a small monster for whom light is a solid object. Game play mostly involves trying to move through shadows and using beams of light as ramps, platforms, etc.

Under the hood its running a modified version of Löve. Most of the changes were to make the physics do what I needed. I'm still working on it, but I should have it finished sometime next year.

Edit: I'm running a Kickstarter! everybody check it outand tell your friends: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/esc ... st-bedtime
Any spare money will help, We need it to take time off of jobs and buy hardware for testing.
Last edited by The Burrito on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: In The Dark

Post by Robin »

That is dark.
Damn you, flash!
Damn you, flash!
damn_dark_cropped.png (25.32 KiB) Viewed 10153 times
The Burrito wrote:it will probably end up being a closed source commercial game
Oh, no! Naw, I think we're all glad LÖVE's used commercially. :P
The Burrito wrote:Under the hood its running a modified version of Löve. Most of the changes were to make the physics do what I needed. I'm still working on it, but I should have it finished sometime next year.
Any change of (eventually) open-sourcing that? I know zlib doesn't require it, but it would be a nice gesture to the LÖVE-devs, if you have made changes we can use.

btw, video looks great when viewing it on YouTube. :)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It looks great!
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

That looks amazingly good. Quite possibly the best looking Löve game I have ever seen.
vrld
Party member

Post by vrld »

That looks really promising. It will still run under linux and OSX, right?
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

Nice gameplay mechanic. The game looked overly twitchy and nonsensical towards the end of the trailer since it was so dark, but whatever. It looks like you could come up with a bunch of cool puzzles with that gameplay mechanic.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Very Nice!

I like the ART style.
The Burrito
Party member

Post by The Burrito »

It's nice to see that everybody likes it!
Robin wrote:Any change of (eventually) open-sourcing that?
I'll give the community any changes I think are useful, right now they're mostly just little things (like a disabling b2assert in places. Which could end horribly if you aren't paying attention) or too specific to be helpful (mostly stuff that could normally be written in lua but isn't to try to squeeze out more performance). There is still a lot to be done, so I'll probably have something for you guys at some point.
vrld wrote:That looks really promising. It will still run under linux and OSX, right?
It should, I haven't tried compiling it for them yet, but there is no reason that it wouldn't work. I plan on having support for those at some point, just don't have anything to test them on right now.

I'll try to post updates on here but will probably fail, I have crap going on at my job and have to move out of my apartment in a month so it's going to be hard enough for me to work on the game and keep my own site up to date.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

The Burrito wrote:I'll try to post updates on here but will probably fail, I have crap going on at my job and have to move out of my apartment in a month so it's going to be hard enough for me to work on the game and keep my own site up to date.
Yeah, RL always goes first. (Although I sometimes tend to forget that, and I'm not alone. :()
Help us help you: attach a .love.
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Congratulations, the video is too much dark, my eyes still hurt but seems amazing. It could be one the best things I saw in Love (well but this video could be anything!). BTW even the screenshots in your site seem a bit too dark. It seem we need to "trust" in the kitty eyes to play! ^^
Game mechanics seems nice, the watercolor gfx and the music even better.
And I'm too admired you really said that will be close-source and really compiled. You shoud start however do first some tests about that now to avoid later complications. Wish the best of luck for project and for 13th Independent Games Festival!
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
--------------------------------------------------------