Single-page introduction to LÖVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Santos
Party member

Single-page introduction to LÖVE

Post by Santos »

I tried to write a single-page introduction to what LÖVE is and terms and concepts related to LÖVE's API. The goal is that after reading it, a new LÖVE user would be able to make more sense of the API information on the wiki.

It's basically a combination of the information on the home page, Getting Started, Game Distribution and Hamster Ball.

It's in "first draft" state at the moment and isn't very complete, so if anyone likes it and wants to continue with it and make it better, please do!

https://github.com/santoslove/love-introduction
sphyrth
Party member

Re: Single-page introduction to LÖVE

Post by sphyrth »

I don't know about anyone else, but the Homepage already gave me enough boost to find out more about this engine. I don't really want to add to it. Making the "Get Started" and "Sample Tutorials" not on the same page is good, too.
Santos
Party member

Re: Single-page introduction to LÖVE

Post by Santos »

I also think the home page is pretty great just as it is, and I also don't think everything being the same page is so beneficial (why I mentioned it so prominently in the original post then, I don't know :P).

I suppose there are two things that I was trying to bring to the table with this:
  • awesome-love2d and josefnpat's list of notable LÖVE games are two really good resources IMO that didn't seem to be linked to from the wiki last time I checked.
  • I wanted to create a "primer" that introduces all of the elements of the API (such as callbacks, modules, objects, global state, enums, etc.), so that after learning what these things are and seeing an example or two of them in action, the reader would more easily understand and be able to put into use the API information presented in the wiki.