Support for Gamecube controllers (Mayflash Adapter)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Rubbermaid
Prole

Support for Gamecube controllers (Mayflash Adapter)

Post by Rubbermaid »

I've been trying to see if LÖVE would recognise Gamecube controllers as joysticks when plugged in via a Mayflash adapter. As I had expected it passes undetected in WiiU mode (as WiiU mode is exclusively for use with the WiiU or Dolphin emulator), however when I switch the adapter to PC mode LÖVE crashes and I'm met with a generic Windows error dialog box. This all happens without the code necessarily making reference to joysticks, as I've tested this on multiple .love's which would otherwise run perfectly.

This may well be a lost cause, but I was wondering if anybody has tried working with Gamecube controllers in LÖVE before, and if they had any success at having it, well, not crash? :nyu:
erasio
Party member

Re: Support for Gamecube controllers (Mayflash Adapter)

Post by erasio »

Love uses xinput for controllers.

If you can make it play nice with it, you'll be fine. Otherwise you will need another library to handle the input.

(not sure what the crash is all about though)
Rubbermaid
Prole

Re: Support for Gamecube controllers (Mayflash Adapter)

Post by Rubbermaid »

erasio wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:44 am Love uses xinput for controllers.

If you can make it play nice with it, you'll be fine. Otherwise you will need another library to handle the input.

(not sure what the crash is all about though)
That's interesting - I know that the Mayflash can work with XInput, but maybe there are few extra hoops to jump through to get it working properly. Rivals of Aether manages to support it through DInput (in GameMaker Studio), so perhaps there might be a LÖVE library which can handle it through that.

Of course this probably won't get the crashes to stop. Thanks for the help anyway. :ultraglee: