LÖVE 11.0 released!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
drunken_munki
Party member

Re: LÖVE 11.0 released!

Post by drunken_munki »

Sorry mis-post here.
Last edited by drunken_munki on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iori Branford
Prole

Post by Iori Branford »

I noticed color values when drawing sprites are now clamped to the min and max ranges. In the attached test, the sprite pulses pink in 0.10.2 but not 11.0. But I also noticed that the color values when drawing shapes are clamped in both versions, to 0-255 and 0-1 respectively.

So is this new sprite color behavior intended for consistency and I have been exploiting a bug for my color effect?

E: Test now includes shape drawing for comparison.
Attachments
color-clamped-test.love
(3.21 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Last edited by Iori Branford on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
josip
Prole

Post by josip »

LÖVE 11.0 is huge improvement all around! I've been using unreleased version for some months and I could never go back.

The color range breaks lot of existing code, but thinking in ranges from zero to one is much more developer-friendly. I would love support for HSL model. HSL is much easier to tweak values in code and achieve good-looking results

Transformations are great addition, I was missing this before. I'm already abusing push() and pop() plenty, now I can keep track of transformation stack myself and transform in and out as necessary. Hashing algorithm is also something I had to hunt around before.

As for sound effects, reverb is very usable. I plan to play around with queueable sources and sound synthesis, so this is great addition as well.

Thanks for all your hard work devs, it's very much appreciated.
Dr. Peeps
Citizen

Post by Dr. Peeps »

raidho36 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:30 pm The problem is, certain graphics API are not supported on old OSes, and it appears that for this project, supporting multiple graphics API versions for compatibility with very old OSes is not an option. I can understand it, dropped OSes still having very large global market share notwithstanding.
I agree! There's no reason to spend effort trying to support old devices that have < 1% of the market share. I'd just like to know exactly what the version requirement is. It was mentioned in this thread that LÖVE 11.0 requires iOS 8+. OK, so I need to buy a new iPhone to replace my old iPhone 4. I also have several Android devices, and I don't want to invest in a new (used!) device until it's clear which ones can/can't run LÖVE.
MarvelME
Prole

Post by MarvelME »

Congratulations to all LÖVErs!
Its such a pleasure to use this engine, so much freedom, so friendly ))
My virtual hug to all the contributors )
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

slime wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:44 pm I put in a fix that I believe should resolve the canvas issue: https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/commits ... 381b0767f3

There's a prebuilt Windows binary with the fix here, if people can confirm that the fix works that'd be great: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/AlexSzp ... /artifacts

nikki93 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 am On iOS I had to add 'Metal.framework' to avoid linker errors about Metal-related symbols from the SDL dependency like '"_OBJC_CLASS_$_MTLTextureDescriptor", referenced from: objc-class-ref in SDL_render_metal.o'.
Thanks for the report, I think I've fixed that as well in the latest source.
Is there a built macOS version of this that fixes the issue too? It's really becoming an annoyance because it happens far more than 5-10% of the time and my project relies on a lot of canvases for everything.
boruok
Prole

Post by boruok »

how hanlde background color after update? it's only 0-1 range now.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

boruok wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:17 am how hanlde background color after update? it's only 0-1 range now.
1 is the new 255, so just divide your old values by 255.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
azoyan
Prole

Post by azoyan »

Why audio effects is not supported on ios?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

azoyan wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:59 pm Why audio effects is not supported on ios?
love uses the OpenAL Soft library / OpenAL implementation on most platforms, which has pretty robust realtime effects and filters as part of it. Unfortunately OpenAL Soft's license is incompatible with iOS, so we have to use Apple's own OpenAL implementation there - and it doesn't have effects/filters.