Build crashes when dropping onto love.exe, but not through sublime

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
JJSax
Prole

Build crashes when dropping onto love.exe, but not through sublime

Post by JJSax »

I use sublime to launch my program using ctrl+b. It works great. But when I drag and drop the folder onto love.exe, it crashes.

This is a simplified section of the code the error is occurring at.

Code: Select all

function love.conf(a)
	a.console = true
	checkConfig() -- checkConfig is defined elsewhere
	config = table.load("Files/config.lua") -- table.load() is defined elsewhere

print(config) -- This prints "table: 0x3dd9da18" when I ctrl+b.  But drag drop, it does nothing.
	     -- Even when I print("Hello") nothing happens when dragging it, but works exactly as expected with ctrl+b
	a.window.width = config.window.width -- This is the line it crashes on.  error says config is returning nil. 
end -- it doesn't actually end here.  I took out a lot for simplicity sake.
I have double and triple checked paths. The directory in the title of the document I'm editing in sublime is precisely the one I'm dragging.
Attachments
TextDisplay.love
(21.43 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
grump
Party member

Re: Build crashes when dropping onto love.exe, but not through sublime

Post by grump »

settings.lua uses io.open among other io functions. They won't work properly with LÖVE, in this example it's probably not finding relative paths due to the working directory not being correct. Use love.filesystem instead. I'd replace settings.lua entirely with a better serialization solution.
JJSax
Prole

Post by JJSax »

grump wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:05 am settings.lua uses io.open among other io functions. They won't work properly with LÖVE, in this example it's probably not finding relative paths due to the working directory not being correct. Use love.filesystem instead. I'd replace settings.lua entirely with a better serialization solution.
oh. Dang, that is the one I found that does what I need it to. Any recommendations on how I can save a table to a file to be easily recalled as the same table. something similar to what I'm doing here.

also thanks for that information. I didn't realize that lua function doesn't work with love2d.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

https://love2d.org/wiki/Category:Libraries has a list of serialization libs.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

JJSax wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:08 am also thanks for that information. I didn't realize that lua function doesn't work with love2d.
Technically it does work, you just need to be aware of the limitations and caveats; bottom line, it's easier and simpler in most cases to just use love.filesystem stuff.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.