Win 10 won't download LOVE insists it's a virus - any tricks?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
eDee
Prole

Win 10 won't download LOVE insists it's a virus - any tricks?

Post by eDee »

After weeks of research, spreadsheets and agonizing over which program is best to learn/program Lua - I can't get out of the starting gate!

I start to download Love 64 bit installer and Windows Defender refuses to download saying that Love is a Virus (insert joke here). When I tell WD to ignore and resume it refuses - talk about over protective anti-virus.

Apart from turning off Defender (which is a killer), does anyone have any tricks for forcing the WD to download a program that thousands of people are currently using so clearly it is safe?

Thanks in advance.
CaptainLK
Prole

Re: Win 10 won't download LOVE insists it's a virus - any tricks?

Post by CaptainLK »

Have you tried to download the .zip release?
Only trying to help
eDee
Prole

Post by eDee »

Thank you for your response. Yes, I did download the .zip file and WD didn't like it any better.
I was able to download the exe file using MX5 browser, but WD would not allow it to install and immediately removed it from my hard drive. Windows Defender a serious hater!

** I have somewhat of a workaround. I found a link: https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/downloads/
and I was able to download and install v11.1 and that will work with the class I'm taking.

I can only assume whatever is in v11.2 that WD doesn't like, isn't part of v11.1.
Hopefully WD will be ready for LOVE by the time v11.3 is released and won't be such a condom.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

i usually just disable applications that think they know better than me; i.e. disable defender; unless you literally surf spam & phishing sites, nothing happens.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Darlex
Party member

Post by Darlex »

eDee wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:53 pm After weeks of research, spreadsheets and agonizing over which program is best to learn/program Lua - I can't get out of the starting gate!

I start to download Love 64 bit installer and Windows Defender refuses to download saying that Love is a Virus (insert joke here). When I tell WD to ignore and resume it refuses - talk about over protective anti-virus.

Apart from turning off Defender (which is a killer), does anyone have any tricks for forcing the WD to download a program that thousands of people are currently using so clearly it is safe?

Thanks in advance.
Use linux.... or disable windows defender lol
Hi! I wish you have an amazing day!
PGUp
Party member

Post by PGUp »

-turn off antivirus
-download love
-turn on antivirus
-???
-profit

unless you're opening shady websites or spam websites, its most of the time fine to turn off antivirus, they takes up ram and are annoying
-
eDee
Prole

Post by eDee »

I can't just turn off WD. It's several different steps/pages/options. Then after I installed LOVE, I would have to remember all the settings backwards to enable everything again. It's not like a switch you can turn off and on at will.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

But it is just a switch you can turn off and on at will.

Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Open Windows Defender Security Centre > App & Browser Control > Check Apps and Files > Off
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
ironsheikh
Prole

Post by ironsheikh »

Hi eDee

Sounds like the safest solution is to simply add an exclusion to Windows Security.

1. Go to Start  > Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
2. Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings, and then under Exclusions, select Add or remove exclusions. Select the LOVE exe.

If the defender built into Internet Explorer is causing you the issue, download Love via Chrome.

I downloaded Love on my Win 10 machine last night via MS Edge and never had it flagged as a suspicious executable, so it is odd you should have that problem. I assume you downloaded Love from the official source.
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."