Scenes/Views/Activities question [Answered]

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
grump
Party member

Re: Scenes/Views/Activities question

Post by grump »

MightyPancake wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:26 pm Just please, avoid sending replies that have no intellectual value, specially if thread has an answer
You should avoid making statements that have no basis in reality, then get pissed when being asked to clarify and to back your claims with facts. Having a lot of unrelated code in a single file may be inconvenient (I totally agree, it's also bad programming style), but the claim that it runs slower is just bogus. Pointing this out does indeed have "intellectual value", even if it pisses you off. These people you're talking to here clearly know more than you, and I for one want them to contest false information in any case.
MightyPancake
Prole

Re: Scenes/Views/Activities question [Answered]

Post by MightyPancake »

Again, no intellectual value, totally not related to thread, so I'm just avoid the point of this reply
Like, there's a subject of the thread for some reason, if You don't have anything to say related to the subject, just stay quiet, please. It makes things a lot easier
MightyPancake
Prole

Re: Scenes/Views/Activities question

Post by MightyPancake »

grump wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:44 pm
MightyPancake wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:26 pm Just please, avoid sending replies that have no intellectual value, specially if thread has an answer
You should avoid making statements that have no basis in reality, then get pissed when being asked to clarify and to back your claims with facts. Having a lot of unrelated code in a single file may be inconvenient (I totally agree, it's also bad programming style), but the claim that it runs slower is just bogus. Pointing this out does indeed have "intellectual value", even if it pisses you off. These people you're talking to here clearly know more than you, and I for one want them to contest false information in any case.
I'm not pissed off, it's just that message is unrelated and the guy knew, that this thread wasn't there because I wanted to argue with someone or bring any problem. I asked for reasonable reply, which I already got, so there's really no need for making such message
It literally says so in topic that it's answered

And, suprise, suprise. Loading files bigger then they need to be means it's a slower way. So yes, technically it's slower. In smaller project, You might not see a difference but in bigger ones, I assure You that You will. Do I really have to tell You why that's true, or You'll just get it. F.e. load a low resolution picture and then try to load a higher resolution one. Guess what will happen.
Bigger file = takes more time to load(in other words; run)
I hope it's really clear for You now.
Please note, that I know how to use report button and there's a section that says that posting unrelated answers is indeed not a good idea
By posting this thread, I wanted to get an answer, not a guy who tries to force me that I'm wrong in some point
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

MightyPancake wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:32 pm Again, no intellectual value, totally not related to thread, so I'm just avoid the point of this reply
Like, there's a subject of the thread for some reason, if You don't have anything to say related to the subject, just stay quiet, please. It makes things a lot easier
Sure dude. Way to make a giant ass of yourself. When you're talking bullshit, you will get corrected. Telling people to shut up will only prevent yourself from getting any more help in the future. People don't come here to serve you as your personal tutor, you know?
suprise, suprise. Loading files bigger then they need to be means it's a slower way. So yes, technically it's slower.
Surprise, surprise - loading one big file is a lot faster than loading several small files. You should really shut the fuck up.
MightyPancake
Prole

Post by MightyPancake »

grump wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:44 pm
MightyPancake wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:32 pm Again, no intellectual value, totally not related to thread, so I'm just avoid the point of this reply
Sure dude. Way to make a giant ass of yourself. When you're talking bullshit, you will get corrected. Telling people to shut up will only prevent yourself from getting any more help in the future. People don't come here to serve you as your personal tutor, you know?
Again, I'm not here to be rude, I'm just saying that posting reply that is not related to thread is bad
I also believe, that naming someone "ass" is not a good thing. Please, be more polite ;)
I didn't abuse anyone here, so be so kind and respect other users even when You think they're wrong.
You might also consider being aware of the fact that You're not a god and being wrong at some point is totally ok
I don't see where I made a problem, can You please point me that, if You're not going to give up posting unrelated replies, so we can verify, if You have any point?
MightyPancake
Prole

Post by MightyPancake »

Every "if-else" statement that is not necessarily needed in loop, slows down program just a tiny bit. Considering You have more then just one, it will indeed run slower. That's my whole point and I'm afraid there's almost no way for You to convince me I'm wrong here, but You may try
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Wow; i guess i'll try to keep my response short then.

This is a public forum. You are right in that you asked a question and you might have gotten an answer that you accepted, but I care far more about the potential future where someone else with possibly even less knowledge may find this thread and would have some false belief regarding your speed claim, which in my opinion was a valid question that i asked.

Even if you would be right; i didn't test it myself, nor do i need to, nor do you, but it wasn't me who made a claim regarding that. (Mind you, i don't care whether you want to back up the claim or not.)

As for the two other quotes, that was just fluff on my part since i couldn't exactly quote just the end of the sentence without the context from earlier.

And the ergonomic thing, with a dictionary definition of "relating to or designed for efficiency and comfort in the working environment." given by google, i legit wanted to get why that was different from inconvenient and not just a near-synonym.

As for replying to your replies, again, do what feels best; if it's better for you to use multiple files, then do it; no one said it was forbidden, not even me. Again, the point of my post was that i was hung up on your speed claim, nothing more.

And i did not want neither a shitstorm, nor did i force you to discuss jack shit with me, to be honest; i asked for clarification about, again, your claim about the speed issue. Then again, neither was my post off-topic when i literally quoted a post from this thread.

I do wonder why you took it that personally though; i don't think my post was much of a character attack or whatever, nor did i intend it that way, for the record. (not gonna go into grump's responses though)

But there you go, calling both my and grump's messages lacking intellectual value... that's also pretty subjective, you know :P
MightyPancake wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:57 pm Every "if-else" statement that is not necessarily needed in loop, slows down program just a tiny bit. Considering You have more then just one, it will indeed run slower. That's my whole point and I'm afraid there's almost no way for You to convince me I'm wrong here, but You may try
I don't really get this, in terms of the previously posted solutions, what "if-else" statements?

The single-file one had (local) tables defined for each state's contents and you swapped state by basically modifying one value;
The multi-file one basically does the same, if it's written correctly: a file-local table gets returned with callback functions relevant to that state, and again, state-swapping happens with changing one variable.

Those two, are the same solution, one's just separated out into more files. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not faster or slower, at least not by any significant margin; i could claim the multi-file one's actually slower at the start since it needs to open and read from more files, disk utils are usually slower.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
MightyPancake
Prole

Post by MightyPancake »

I also haven't mentioned even once anything about loading several files at the same time. They'd be loaded, when they need to be loaded. While, in Your "point" I run a big file that contains all of the code for all views (such as menu, highscores etc.) That are included in the file while there's really no need to
So the real comparation is between a small file and a big file that contains several small ones. Since, the small one will run, as I said, all alone by themselves, only "swapping" with other small files
Did I make myself clear here?
I didn't mentioned a single thing about running or loading them simultaneously
MightyPancake
Prole

Post by MightyPancake »

zorg wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:04 pm Wow; i guess i'll try to keep my response short then.

This is a public forum. You are right in that you asked a question and you might have gotten an answer that you accepted, but I care far more about the potential future where someone else with possibly even less knowledge may find this thread and would have some false belief regarding your speed claim, which in my opinion was a valid question that i asked.

Even if you would be right; i didn't test it myself, nor do i need to, nor do you, but it wasn't me who made a claim regarding that. (Mind you, i don't care whether you want to back up the claim or not.)

As for the two other quotes, that was just fluff on my part since i couldn't exactly quote just the end of the sentence without the context from earlier.

And the ergonomic thing, with a dictionary definition of "relating to or designed for efficiency and comfort in the working environment." given by google, i legit wanted to get why that was different from inconvenient and not just a near-synonym.

As for replying to your replies, again, do what feels best; if it's better for you to use multiple files, then do it; no one said it was forbidden, not even me. Again, the point of my post was that i was hung up on your speed claim, nothing more.

And i did not want neither a shitstorm, nor did i force you to discuss jack shit with me, to be honest; i asked for clarification about, again, your claim about the speed issue. Then again, neither was my post off-topic when i literally quoted a post from this thread.

I do wonder why you took it that personally though; i don't think my post was much of a character attack or whatever, nor did i intend it that way, for the record. (not gonna go into grump's responses though)

But there you go, calling both my and grump's messages lacking intellectual value... that's also pretty subjective, you know :P
MightyPancake wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:57 pm Every "if-else" statement that is not necessarily needed in loop, slows down program just a tiny bit. Considering You have more then just one, it will indeed run slower. That's my whole point and I'm afraid there's almost no way for You to convince me I'm wrong here, but You may try
I don't really get this, in terms of the previously posted solutions, what "if-else" statements?

The single-file one had (local) tables defined for each state's contents and you swapped state by basically modifying one value;
The multi-file one basically does the same, if it's written correctly: a file-local table gets returned with callback functions relevant to that state, and again, state-swapping happens with changing one variable.

Those two, are the same solution, one's just separated out into more files. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not faster or slower, at least not by any significant margin; i could claim the multi-file one's actually slower at the start since it needs to open and read from more files, disk utils are usually slower.
If You feel attacked,sorry about that. I hope You get my point
I meant that it's a problem because:
A) You have to deal with big file in editor
B) You load information that don't need to be loaded at the time, so yes, it might and will be marginally slower, as You stated.
Again, my intention wasn't to attack You at any point, however, I feel that Your "friend"/defender (???) is:
A) Wrong
B) just rude for no given reason (in my opinion)
I don't see when I make someone feel that he's my tutor (??) Because, I even said thanks to the guy
Thanks for Your time anyway, no harm intended as I said
And by lack of intellectual value I meant it doesn't give any kind of help to me, I meant that it's basically unrelated in my opinion and totally unnecessary, since, once again, I changed the topic to include the info that it's closed and solved etc. If future users might have any problem with something here they do have an ability to ask it here or just make another thread if it's not against therms of use of this forum (similar topics etc.)
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

zorg wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:04 pm i don't think my post was much of a character attack or whatever, nor did i intend it that way, for the record. (not gonna go into grump's responses though)
It wasn't. You did nothing wrong. Asking to clarify bogus claims is very much expected in a technical forum, and if you hadn't done it, someone else would. That's just how productive technical discussions work.

Talking smack about responses having "no intellectual value" and telling the asker to "be quiet" is basically telling people that they're dumb, and that's where the personal attacks have started, not before and not after. And he obviously still thinks he's the one who controls the conversation here, in a very egoistical and arrogant way. He just doesn't seem to understand how forums or public conversations work, and keeps moving goalposts in order to not have to admit that he's wrong. Reminds me very much of another forum user from a while back, who has thankfully disappeared very quickly.