Color-Picker for Love

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
YoungNeer
Party member

Color-Picker for Love

Post by YoungNeer »

If my previous post about loveCC (https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=86927)- we didn't talk even a bit about Color-Picker which is kinda sad so this topic should make up for that.

loveCC as you may know has become super-powerful now. It's default color-palette has now over 100 colors, 140 to be precise. But with more power comes more responsibility and selecting a color out of 140 colors is not easy unless you have all the colors lined up in a organised way and you just have to pick a color like you'd pick a dress from your wardrobe. And that's exactly what Color-Picker does

Color-Picker is an *awesome* tool whose aim in life is to make setting colors (background color, particle color, text color, etc) a child's play. loveCC (whose goal is not just to set color but also perform other tasks as well) if you remember sets color like this:-

Code: Select all

lovecc:setColor("red") -- set opacity 1
	lovecc:setColor("maroon",0.5) --set opacity 0.5
Even though that's super simple yet sometimes you don't want to use the hit-and-trial method - by that I mean you don't want to try every color before you settle for the color you want. Nothing wrong with that but I have come with a better way (inspired from this post - https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... 1f8c48246a)

So rather than going hit-and-trial you can use color-picker either for loveCC library or for independent use!!

So you have 140 colors to choose from - which is the default palette lovecc gives you (you can make your own palette but we won't get into that now). So you choose from the colors - click one that you like and that color-name is copied (to the clipboard) so that you can use it with loveCC.

But what if you are not planning to use it with loveCC! Worry not. If you right-click a color then the color-code will be copied not the color-name which you can then use in general case withoug loveCC's intervention.

If you have any doubts or just anything (reviews/critcs/etc) then feel free to comment! In fact I am very disappointed by the fact that nowadays the Love community is becoming more and more inactive. But more on that on the General Forums :crazy:
Attachments
ColorPicker.love
(23.66 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Last edited by YoungNeer on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Github- your contribution is highly appreciated
zorg
Party member

Re: Color-Picker for Love

Post by zorg »

YoungNeer wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:38 pm In fact I am very disappointed by the fact that nowadays the Love community is becoming more and more inactive. But more on that on the General Forums :crazy:
It's not becoming more and more inactive, on what do you base these baseless assumptions of yours?
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
YoungNeer
Party member

Post by YoungNeer »

zorg wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:34 pm It's not becoming more and more inactive, on what do you base these baseless assumptions of yours?
C'mon let's not get off topic. I just saw the guidelines and I can take a "negative stance" on you. But I won't - cause People make mistakes (I make it all the time) and they learn from it. If you however punish them for making mistakes then they will act like robots not humans and if they stop making mistakes then they stop learning. So that was your mistake for going off-topic and I pointed that out instead of punishing you for comitting that mistake which makes me truly a wonderful person on my own - but then again let's not get off-topic :rofl:
Last edited by YoungNeer on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Rude is not active anymore in the project, and has not been for years. However, bartbes and slime are, who are the two devs that still develop löve, in their free time, of course, even nowadays; you can see for yourself on the discord, or even on bitbucket, when the last commit happened.

>I would argue that the most people particularly veterans are slowly but steadily detaching themselves from the community.
I would agree with this, in that some people who were more active in the past either moved on, or just don't have time anymore to visit or try out every nicety that people might share; they might still be around and lurk though.

>and the ones who are active all the time are mostly scornful people like you yourself - who have nothing useful to post and are always finding ways to step on someone's toes.
I'm taking a negative stance to you because i view your conduct on the forums as somewhat bad, though that said, it's just my opinion, so it really has no real bearing on anything (and more importantly, it's not a personal issue, or at the very least i don't wish to make it one; if anything, it's just that your take was a bit weird, so i wanted to address it); if you wish to see my posting history however, the forums make that possible, so you can see that most of my posts are indeed helpful. (and i did contribute a few libs... not that that would absolve me of any responsibility for my attitude, of course)

And if anything, other active people aren't as bitter and jaded as me anyway. :P

The forums are to talk about things relevant to love, i agree that petty arguments are pointless, though nevertheless they have happened previously as well.

I would still say that most new people who are indeed creating stuff are sharing intermittent creations on the official discord instead of on here, that's as much as part of the "löve community" as the irc channel is, and this forum is. And that place is bustling with life, more so than the forums, at least.

And finally, the forum's are still here, whether Alexa says the site's ranking dropped or not. New people still visit, they still find the framework occasionally (through multiple ways even, like discord, twitter, other devs, just looking for a decent framework...), to me, i'd consider that a good thing still. Of course, if you have ideas of how to make löve more "visible", as it were, to the masses, i'm sure both current devs would be interested in hearing that! :3

Oh, and i do apologize for derailing this thread, but since you conflated it with two topics, your library, and the offhand remark about the löve community seemingly dying out, i felt like responding here. - If you want, i can delete these at your earliest convenience.

Edit: Hey look, i can edit my posts as well!
C'mon let's not get off topic. I just saw the guidelines and I can take a "negative stance" on you. But I won't - cause People make mistakes (I make it all the time) and they learn from it. If you however punish them for making mistakes then they will act like robots not humans and if they stop making mistakes then they stop learning.

So that was your mistake for going off-topic and I pointed that out instead of punishing you for committing that mistake which makes me truly a wonderful person on my own - but then again let's not get off-topic :rofl:
I have interacted with you in 3 4 threads today,

- In one, you posted in a 5 year old thread with information no one was looking for, nor, to my understanding, was worth bumping up to the first page, and i asked you to not do it again, because i felt it was bad form; from your reply, it looks like you probably took it personally. (then for some reason, we could talk using logic, that was nice.)

- In one of Eric Matyas' threads, i should have called you out on actually being rude and saying that his textures 2d game art assets are useless on these forums, but i made the mistake of inquiring why you believed that, then you insinuated i wanted to protect him from negativity due to an assumed, and tbh non-existent implied sexual relationship (and good on the other guy for being blunt with you) - again, your reply looks like you took it personally again. (and i sincerely doubt you understood anything we were getting at, otherwise you wouldn't have replied how you did.)

- Finally in this very thread, you put your woes regarding the forum dying out at the end of your first post, and i felt like that was baseless, hence why again, i asked you to expand on it... i mean, why would you have written that there, unless you were looking for people to ask about that opinion? It was on-topic, since you mentioned it. - The reason i didn't talk about your lib was simply because your outlook looked more interesting than such a run-of-the-mil library, which might be decent, i haven't tried it since i have no need for it.

- Oh, and the one about source code obfuscation, which i don't think had any hostility... i updated it with a link to a topic that had a list of all the other topics that talked about this topic, written by people probably more smarter than me on the topic!

People indeed make mistakes, and that is indeed good, because as you say, people learn from them.
That said, getting irrationally defensive like how a child would react though is of course a different thing, then sounding like a narcissist (highlight in orange) trying to sound like a hero, and then going into grandiose plans regarding benefiting the entirety of humanity... yeah, i had delusions of grandeur like that when i was young as well, and i do hope you'll prove me wrong, but again, i highly doubt that.

I consider our interactions ended though, and i won't reply to you anymore, unless pushed, and it won't be in a neutral tone anymore.

Final edit: slime's right not to clutter Eric's thread, and frankly, i'm tired of these types of interactions to be honest, so instead of sending out my typed out reply, i'm just going to address the two very minor issues you had and correct those two words.

Lol, the child's last post in Eric's thread back-pedaling so hard, trying to vindicate himself from all wrongdoing, shifting the blame to nothingness... after slime's warning nonetheless...
Last edited by zorg on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
YoungNeer
Party member

Post by YoungNeer »

zorg wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:32 pm I'm taking a negative stance to you because i view your conduct on the forums as bad, though that said, it's just my opinion, so it really has no real bearing on anything (and more importantly, it's not a personal issue, or at the very least i don't wish to make it one; it's just that your take was a bit weird, so i wanted to address it); however, if you wish to see my posting history, the forums make that possible, so you can see that most of my posts are indeed helpful.

And if anything, other active people aren't as bitter and jaded as me anyway. :P
Of course, if you have ideas of how to make löve more "visible", as it were, to the masses, i'm sure both current devs would be insterested in hearing that! :3
Let's assume I was never angry at you and you never derailed any of my threads with your hatred! And no stepping on any-one's toe atleast for this once.

About what we can do to bring back the love (and hopefully increase the page views):-

Well I do have a lot of ideas on how the community can benefit not just the community but entire humanity for that matter. :cool: And I've been researching and experimenting on this day and night :monocle: . But I'm afraid I can't share the details of my experiments cause it's highly confidential and in one-word WIP. But it is related to AI - not some stupid AI that you see on typical games -pathfinding,nnets and all that. Rather something more casual, something that can't be imagined, something that (hopefully) has never been done, something that is different and all that meta-phrasing. Okay that was too much but yeah It should be completed in within 2 weeks and when it is you'll be the first one to know :awesome: I will PM you the link of love file

I just hope you don't turn my love (file) into hate with the "ultra-sweet and ultra-helpful personality" of yours!!!
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I don't know how Alexa calculates its rankings, but the actual analytics on our site (available to site admins) show a pretty constant number of active users on the site across the past three years.

Obviously the forums could be more active, and it would be great if they were - but these days a good amount of the community's time is spent in our discord server rather than just the forums. There are a lot of people in there. :)
YoungNeer
Party member

Post by YoungNeer »

slime wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:41 pm I don't know how Alexa calculates its rankings, but the actual analytics on our site (available to site admins) show a pretty constant number of active users on the site across the past three years.

Obviously the forums could be more active, and it would be great if they were - but these days a good amount of the community's time is spent in our discord server rather than just the forums. There are a lot of people in there. :)
Okay looks like I've attracted a lot of controversy. I'm sorry I spoke some harsh words to another community member. She just happened to derail all of my threads with some stupid stuff. But I do regret about it now ( I just wish she doesn't read this one or she'll derail this one as well :rofl: )
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I read your post before you deleted it. But I didn't really understand it...
YoungNeer
Party member

Post by YoungNeer »

slime wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:02 pm I read your post before you deleted it. But I didn't really understand it...
Okay worry not about that. I was just experimenting whether I could reply to you or not. :crazy:

I read somewhere that you can't reply to the internal developers unless you are party member or something. So you know I was just being curious and that's all..

Anyways keep spreading the love (by that I mean keep working on LOVE2D) and if you are interested to know then currently I'm learning SDL2 and bits of OpenGL from lazyfoo and very soon (hopefully) I will understand all of LOVE2D source code and maybe- just maybe I could finally be of some use to the community
Last edited by YoungNeer on Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

My, my. And here I was oblivious to these things happening while I was daily checking up on the forums.