Brick Slayer [GMTK 2019]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

Brick Slayer [GMTK 2019]

Post by Hydrogen Maniac »

Hello everyone, I recently participated in this years GMTK game jam and thought it'd be a good idea to share the .love file with you all. This years theme was only one where each submission needs to have only one of something that you would expect to have many of. My take on the theme was a top-down bullet hell where you only have one bullet that has to be picked up and re-used if you want to fire again.

As with a lot of game jam projects its a bit barren on content and a bit buggy in places, but I hope you guys enjoy it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated whether it's here on the LÖVE forums, on the game jam page or on the itch.io page.

Controls:
Move: WASD
Throw: LMB
Piercing throw: RMB(hold)
Attract brick: SPACE
Toggle fullscreen: F
Quit: ESC

Credits:
Programming and art: Me.
Music: Eric Matyas, www.soundimage.org

Download:
Brick Slayer.love
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 257 times
I'm way too sober for this...
CrimsonGuy
Prole

Re: Brick Slayer [GMTK 2019]

Post by CrimsonGuy »

Wow i really like your game, you even took the time to make lots of details that make the gameplay really satisfactory, the particles and juices of enemies splattered on the floor when they are killed plus the minor screen shake is pretty cool, the gameplay matches the theme really well and i like your art style. Great Job!
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

Awesome amounts of fun!

No bugs that I encountered.
Difficult enough to be a challenge but not so much as to give up. Replayable enough to think: "I'm sure I can beat that score if I try again!"

Kudos.
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

Wow i really like your game, you even took the time to make lots of details that make the gameplay really satisfactory, the particles and juices of enemies splattered on the floor when they are killed plus the minor screen shake is pretty cool, the gameplay matches the theme really well and i like your art style. Great Job!
Thanks man, glad you like it! :awesome:
Honestly, the screenshake, particles, etc is what makes the game fun at all, without them the game is just kinda meh. I'd be mad not to include them :crazy:
Awesome amounts of fun!

No bugs that I encountered.
Difficult enough to be a challenge but not so much as to give up. Replayable enough to think: "I'm sure I can beat that score if I try again!"

Kudos.
It's nice to see that you had fun with it! :ultraglee:
I reduced the difficulty last minute so it's good to see that I didn't make it too easy.
nameless tee
Prole

Post by nameless tee »

I really like this one. The sounds, screen shake and slime make it feel very satisfying. After a few attempts I started focussing more on aiming and doing the dodging and walking more in the corner of my eye.

Minor nitpicks:
  • When circled the enemies going straight after the player sometimes bunch up until they are perfectly aligned.
  • Since there is no option to catch the mouse cursor, I end up clicking outside the window every now and then. Edit: Also happens on fullscreen with multiple monitors.
  • When shooting an enemy at close range I often end up picking up the bullet and refiring it immediately in an unintended direction. This could be improved by using newpresses instead of just checking if the button is down.
  • It would be nice if the .love were available at itch.io, too, but it's really not much of a problem because I can still run it on linux with "love BrickSlayer.exe".
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

nameless tee wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:38 pm I really like this one. The sounds, screen shake and slime make it feel very satisfying. After a few attempts I started focussing more on aiming and doing the dodging and walking more in the corner of my eye.

Minor nitpicks:
  • When circled the enemies going straight after the player sometimes bunch up until they are perfectly aligned.
  • Since there is no option to catch the mouse cursor, I end up clicking outside the window every now and then. Edit: Also happens on fullscreen with multiple monitors.
  • When shooting an enemy at close range I often end up picking up the bullet and refiring it immediately in an unintended direction. This could be improved by using newpresses instead of just checking if the button is down.
  • It would be nice if the .love were available at itch.io, too, but it's really not much of a problem because I can still run it on linux with "love BrickSlayer.exe".
Thanks for the feedback!
  • I didn't quite have time to add enemy-to-enemy collision detection and giving all the enemies random movement seemed a little too uninteresting. I just kinda added the piercing throw at the last hour and hoped it would help players deal with large clumps of enemies. :oops:
  • Didn't occur to me at the time that the cursor could go off screen. I'll add that to the list of changes to the non gamejam version.
  • Noticed this last minute. Try walking up to the edge of the map, aim outside the playable area and hold down the left mouse button, although you should probably turn down your volume first.
  • Didn't think most folks on itch.io were familiar with LÖVE so I only uploaded the .exe to prevent people from accidently downloading the wrong version and getting confused.
tngk
Prole

Post by tngk »

damn its fun, good job