cave game - generic terraria clone

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
milon
Party member

Re: cave game - generic terraria clone

Post by milon »

Fun game!!

And water is pretty hilarious - you can mine it with the pick, trees and leaves prevent water from flowing, and it falls *really* slowly. That's not criticism - I actually enjoyed that. Even though I'm pretty sure it's not the long term goal. ;)

My one real (small) complaint is what happens when you dig/build/whatever, leave the area, and come back. Everything is reset. I assume the world isn't just generated in chunks, but also forgotten in chunks too. And I assume that isn't planned for the long term either.

Oh, and I also couldn't figure out how to use ropes. I got them placed, but can't figure out how to climb.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
josh_uu
Prole

Post by josh_uu »

Thanks milon! To grab onto the rope, try presssing W. (I can't remember if I had implemented rope mechanics by the time I uploaded that .love file) As far as water goes, I might just leave it for comedic effect. Chunks will be permanent once I get around to implementing saving and loading though. :)

I've also started posting updates onto an itch.io page if anybody wants to keep track of progress.
https://cavegame.itch.io/play
epic epic epic discord: joshuu#6360
josh_uu
Prole

Post by josh_uu »

Heyo! I've been working on things for a little while longer, and i've managed to get a lot more than I expected done.

Tri-color, multithreaded lighting has been implemented, along with threaded file I/O for world loading and saving. I've also gotten a menu for the game, so you can save and load from several different worlds. There's a lot of other crap too, but I don't have much time to type at the moment.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help with finding issues!
Attachments
color.png
color.png (51.61 KiB) Viewed 7048 times
Nobody5050
Prole

awesome!

Post by Nobody5050 »

Awesome game! Love the comedic water. (Dont stop posting updates here) maybe try adding generation in the sky.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Jeeper wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:14 pmNot entirely sure what you mean by clamping velocity, but what I usually have in the start of love.update(dt) is:
if dt > 0.1 then dt = 0.1 end
dt = math.min(dt, 0.1) works just as well. Don't know if there's any performance issues. (Negligible if any)
josh_uu
Prole

Post by josh_uu »

Oi everyone, it's been some time since I posted. I don't have anything particularly impressive to show off this time. I've spent the last while just refining and polishing up some aspects of the game. It should be more stable, and much more enjoyable to play now.

I think i'll put the project away for a bit. Progress has grinded to a halt, and i'm getting frustrated with my efforts.
With that in mind, i've included the .love file in case anybody would like to play around with the code, or pick the project up.
Please message me if you've got any questions about the game/code, or if you find some glitches.

Thanks for all of your encouraging comments and help!

Grab the new download here:
https://cavegame.itch.io/play

I'm aware that the world creation menu won't let you type in a name for the world. You can still create the world, but i'll fix that soon.
Attachments
fALVDc.png
fALVDc.png (250.94 KiB) Viewed 5386 times