Is it possible to build an encrypted .exe?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
artless
Prole

Is it possible to build an encrypted .exe?

Post by artless »

I want to share my game, but I don't want my players read the source code.
Is it possible to build a .exe that can't be unziped?
grump
Party member

Re: Is it possible to build an encrypted .exe?

Post by grump »

It is possible, you just have to modify the LÖVE source code to make it parse your custom/encrypted archive format.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

It's definitely possible but it's more trouble than its worth. Consider how much time and effort you'd have to spend to do this, and if it outweighs the bad things that will happen if someone sees the code. Like, break out a calculator and try to really do the math on that one, put it in the numbers.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

I'm offering my services: send me your LÖVE file under a confidentiality agreement, and I'll send back a package with your game that doesn't contain human-readable source code. I'm charging $49 USD per game. PM me for details.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

You can code horribly enough to not have anyone understand how it works, that's one solution :P
A bit more seriously, you can compile the code beforehand, but even that could be reverse engineered with enough effort, as raidho said.

Also, added to the master lists: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... 55#p223865
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
monolifed
Party member

Post by monolifed »

IMO, encryption is just another layer of deterrent like obfuscation, compiling to bytecode, combining with binary.
Player's machine will need unencrypted files at some point to run the game.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

People don't do this out of practical necessity, they do it because they're having a protracted brain fart. There are never seem to be any shortage of people who think that each of their individual pieces of work is valuable. Most of them understand that it's not the case once they start actually making things. There are never seem to be any shortage of people with cargo cult mentality either. Most of them never understand why they do the things they do.