Android full screen with buttons always on

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
bio1712
Citizen

Android full screen with buttons always on

Post by bio1712 »

Hi everyone

On Android, if I set t.fullscreen = true in love.conf 3 things happen:
1. Safe area disappears
2. The soft buttons disappear
3. The navigation bar disappears

I would like to have only the first and the third ones.
So I've decided to keep t.fullscreen = false, then I've modified SDLActivity.java to hide the navigation bar, but I can't find a way to disable the safe area.

In particular, I would like to switch from this behaviour

to this one.

This issue there is only with Löve 11.3, as with Löve 11.2 I didn't have the safe area.

Thank you
AuahDark
Party member

Re: Android full screen with buttons always on

Post by AuahDark »

This is caused because LOVE 11.3 fullscreen code conflicts with SDL. I've fixed this in development branch of love-android. If you don't mind recompiling then you can use that branch, but make sure to checkout the stable LOVE submodule repository.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!
bio1712
Citizen

Post by bio1712 »

Unfortunatly that doesn't solve my problem.
Even if I call manually setImmersiveMode(true); the screen is still as in the first image.
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

This trickier than I thought. Unfortunately you'll have to wait until I have new devices with virtual navigation buttons like your phone, since my current phone has dedicated space for navigation buttons.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!
bio1712
Citizen

Post by bio1712 »

Why do you think it's a problem with the buttons? Isn't it a problem with the notch?
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

It's something have to do with sticky immersive mode if I'm right. LOVE used to have its own "immersive" mode but turns out it causes race condition issue because SDL also has its own immersive mode code, so I removed it.

In 11.2, you should get first image because it always preserve the notch area as non-drawable, whilst in 11.3, the notch area is completely drawable and you have to use love.window.getSafeArea() to query the non-obstructed area.
bio1712
Citizen

Post by bio1712 »

The issue is with SDLActivity which sets the flags View.SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_LAYOUT_STABLE and View.SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_VISIBLE as soon as the app stats in the method handleMessage(Message msg).

It has nothing to do with the cutout mode, although I think the right one for us is LAYOUT_IN_DISPLAY_CUTOUT_MODE_SHORT_EDGES and not LAYOUT_IN_DISPLAY_CUTOUT_MODE_NEVER as in your GameActivity.java.

In fact, even if I set the flags in the method OnCreate() of GameActivity.java, I still get this screen:

But if I remove the line 637 of SDLActivity

Code: Select all

window.getDecorView().setSystemUiVisibility(flags);
I finally get this screen.

Here is my GameActivity.java: https://pastebin.com/03BpxSp1
(I've only added the method removeSafeArea() and called it)
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

That's interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyway looks like I got your issue. Unfortunately it's not possible as immersive mode implies hidden soft buttons. Setting fullscreen always hides notification bar and soft buttons.

In development branch, cutout mode is set to LAYOUT_IN_DISPLAY_CUTOUT_MODE_SHORT_EDGES if the game enters fullscreen, and it sets it back to LAYOUT_IN_DISPLAY_CUTOUT_MODE_NEVER otherwise.
bio1712
Citizen

Post by bio1712 »

I've tried to use your development branch, however, even if I change LAYOUT_IN_DISPLAY_CUTOUT_MODE_SHORT_EDGES to LAYOUT_IN_DISPLAY_CUTOUT_MODE_NEVER, I still get the first image.
Therefore it is definitely a bug.