Emberglass- an exploration action platformer

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
pauljessup
Party member

Emberglass- an exploration action platformer

Post by pauljessup »

Something I've been working on since earlier this year. It does have some elements of metriodvanias, but I think hews closer to the original Zelda or Blastermaster in terms of how you explore the world, unlock new areas, and the like. In that way, it's completely non-linear. You can defeat the levels and bosses in any order, and you can find items that help you open up new areas and defeat the bosses in (almost) any order. There is a case or two of you need this item before getting this other item, but it's not super linear at all.

It will end up being a short game, probably 5-10 hours, maybe a tiny bit more if you find all the secret stuff. You can pick up anything and use it as a weapon or an item (skulls and bones can be thrown as weapons, mushrooms eaten with different effects on the player, making you big, small, or healing you or poisoning you). Enemies have varied attack patterns, with the starting enemies pretty simplistic (walk back and forth, attack), and later enemies doing some really complex things. There is a day or not cycle and weather patterns (fog, storm, etc), making the gameplay unique. Some items can only be found during certain times of day, others can only be seen during the foggy hours or during a storm.

Certain enemies appear only at night or in the day, etc, etc. It will probably come out later this year on itch.io and steam, for about 8$ give or take. I'm about 1/2 way done with it now, the engine is 100% complete, now it's just level design and tweaking difficulty. This was made in Love2d and Lua, with TileD for the level editing (and STI for the importing of TileD maps) and Aseprite for the pixel art.

Itch page:
https://cupofstars.itch.io/emberglass

7minute playthrough video:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/JpevNbT1VV4[/youtube]
Afrricyn
Prole

Re: Emberglass- an exploration action platformer

Post by Afrricyn »

Looks very nice!
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

Looks great!
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Thank you both! I'm still hard at work on this..

I wanted to release it August 24th, but I think it's going to be more towards September-October ish
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Just an update! Still working on it. Looks like it's going to be early next year when it's released. But that's okay! It's just me working on it and no one else, and I don't want to rush things to meet an arbitrary, self-imposed deadline.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Emberglass will be coming to Itch.io this week, on the fifteenth. It will be on steam sometime next month, after I jump through all the hoops steam makes you jump through.

Editing a gameplay trailer right now, sprucing up the actual page shortly before go live. It's made with Love2d, TileD, Simple Tiled Importer, Bump2d and a whole mess of custom code. It will be on OSX, Windows, and Linux.

An exploration based platformer, it has a running night/day cycle, and random weather effects (fog, rain, etc). Only two items can be used at a time, one for each hand. To pick anything else up, you need to drop something else. This adds an extra layer of strategy to everything.
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

Will look out for it!
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

And it's live on Itch! Will be on Steam Feb 10th, due to the whole wait to be approved thing

https://cupofstars.itch.io/emberglass
delphini
Prole

Post by delphini »

I wait it for release! Good job!
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Available for wishlist on steam now!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1523640/Emberglass/