Lyric Hero

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Motig
Prole

Lyric Hero

Post by Motig »

Hello everybody!

This game is something I've been thinking about for a long time, but when I prototyped it, it wasn't all that fun. Luckily I got some new ideas in the past few days so I decided to rewrite it from scratch!

In Lyric Hero you have to type the lyrics of a song as they fall down on your screen. The closer you finish typing a word to the moment it's being sung, the more points you get. The word gets sung if it enters the purple area. If you finish typing it earlier/later you get less points, the amount is determined by how far off you are.

I'm still thinking about some sort of points multiplier. Maybe you get bonus points as long as you don't make a mistake, still toying around with this. Here's a screenshot of how it currently looks, it looks better in motion though!

Words turn green as you type them, if you make a mistake you have to start over. If a word goes under the red line it's game over.
thelinx
The Strongest

Re: Lyric Hero

Post by thelinx »

Looks very interesting!

When will you release it publicly?
Maybe you can upload a gameplay video?
Motig
Prole

Post by Motig »

I did make a video but I decided I'd rather release a video with a more fitting and complete song for a gameplay video.

I'll be posting a video once I finish a few more features, if you happen to know a song you'd like to see/play in the first release I'd love to hear it! The song released with the first version will most likely be GlaDOS - Still Alive.
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

Motig wrote:The song released with the first version will most likely be GlaDOS - Still Alive.
EPIC! :ultrahappy:
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Motig wrote:The song released with the first version will most likely be GlaDOS - Still Alive.
Uhm, not to be a downer, but do you have the rights to that song?
Motig
Prole

Post by Motig »

Well obviously I can't distribute the music files. Although I'm pretty sure you're allowed to share lyrics? Which is pretty much the only thing I'm doing. Users can provide the music files themselves. Unless I'm completely wrong here, but else all those sites who are hosting lyrics of songs are also illegal.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Motig wrote:Well obviously I can't distribute the music files. Although I'm pretty sure you're allowed to share lyrics? Which is pretty much the only thing I'm doing. Users can provide the music files themselves. Unless I'm completely wrong here, but else all those sites who are hosting lyrics of songs are also illegal.
Oh, okay. Gotcha. I thought you'd be distributing the music along with the game.
Thursdaybloom
Citizen

Post by Thursdaybloom »

You'll find lyrics, like anything copyrighted, do need permission to be reprinted. I think that they're so ingrained in our culture though that no one really cares.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Thursdaybloom wrote:You'll find lyrics, like anything copyrighted, do need permission to be reprinted. I think that they're so ingrained in our culture though that no one really cares.
Except for the occasional Lyric site that either tries hard to disable right-click and dragging to keep people from selecting and copying the text (Easily worked around) or that one who actually adds their own website URL to any text you copy in case you paste it somewhere else and aren't paying attention.