WRATH (Zombie Survival)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Kaze
Party member

Re: [7 Deadly Sins] Wrath (Zombie Survival)

Post by Kaze »

Kudomiku wrote:Good idea! Should you have to drag the boxes with the mouse during the 15 seconds start time, or should you have to manually push the boxes and when the time is over all boxes that have been moved become unmovable but damagable by zombies?
Drag( have the player close to the box then grab on to it or something? ) and push.
Kuromeku
Party member

Post by Kuromeku »

appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

Hmm, I just found out love.app on mac currently can't have umlauts in the title. It would crash otherwise.

Code: Select all

24/11/08 1:33:07 PM love[8602] *** Assertion failure in -[SDL_QuartzWindow setTitle:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-949.35/AppKit.subproj/NSWindow.m:1935
24/11/08 1:33:07 PM love[8602] Exception raised during posting of notification.  Ignored.  exception: 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: aString != nil'  invoked observer method: '*** -[SDLMain applicationDidFinishLaunching:]'  observer: 0x61faf0  notification name: 'NSApplicationDidFinishLaunchingNotification' 
I had to edit game.conf before it would run.
I am not sure if this is a problem with Mac OS X or just because of me compiling it...
EDIT: I used a script to change the terminal's title to "ËNVY" with no problems... I'll see if I can fix this.

EDIT: see http://www.nabble.com/Encoding-of-windo ... 01280.html . Probably can be fixed when a newer SDL.framework is used.
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: WRATH (Zombie Survival)

Post by qubodup »

Kudomiku:

The help display is well-structured and simple!

However.

I'm one of the people who hate help screens before the game and always skips it, only to wish having red it seconds later, because there's no way to show it again.

What I recommend is "Press H to see some hints!" in the center, right below the "you have X seconds!" when the game starts, the "H for hints" goes to one corner of the screen.

The reason: allow the player to find out himself, but give him easy access to the info if he has enough of trying to figure it out by himself. This article, which I recommend to anyone (it's a Lost Garden' presentation) is what gave me that concept.

One thing about the game is very strange to me: why do I have a time limit 'to get started'? is it a time in which you want the player to find out how to control? It definitely is bad for players who already know how to get started. I want to draw an analogy to IndestructoTank! (flash game) which *forces* you to click on the [swearword] "how to play" before it lets you play.

I like the idea of a game where you can try out the controls before starting the game (one of the coolest examples can be seen in Krank), so I would suggest a "kill the purple zombie to start!" or "pick up the ammo box to start!" way of starting the game.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Kuromeku
Party member

Post by Kuromeku »

Hey thanks for the feedback!

The start timer is basically to allow the player to build a base (I know you can't do this yet but that's what it was originally for), because eventually I am going to add support for that.

However, I like your idea of "shoot the zombie" to start the game.

And I'll also definatly do the press H thing instead (although you could say the help menu was the main menu where one would simply click New Game, or pressing space in this instance).
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

Yes, I like the start timer; it lets me move cubes around to sort of box myself in the corner so I can face 1 zombie at a time :)
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
JamesGecko
Prole

Post by JamesGecko »

This game runs at 9 FPS on my Core 2 Duo laptop with an Intel Integrated X3100. It's not a very powerful graphics card, but it can normally run much more complicated games than this just fine (Yay 3D RTS). Am I just seeing slowdown because of the limitations of LOVE?

Edit: Never mind. I've been using the Windows 7 beta, and my driver doesn't have OpenGL hardware support implanted yet. Software rendering ahoy!
CR4SH3D
Citizen

Post by CR4SH3D »

hmm it says it runs at 300fps on this comp that only has onboard graphics (intel)

im getting a couple of crashes normally when picking up an item thats been in play for a while

you should change the map to a top down view of a mall and let stair/lifts take you to other maps, the gameplays really great already and i think working on the graphics now will definetly make it 10 times better

would be good if the lights went out and you had a flash light too