Volley Brawl is for sale in the USC

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
genericdave
Citizen

Re: Volley Brawl is for sale in the USC

Post by genericdave »

How big is the ubuntu user base anyway?
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

genericdave wrote:How big is the ubuntu user base anyway?
No way to know. The representative from Canonical that we are in contact with told us an estimate, but I'm not sure if I remember what he said. Maybe like 2-3 million desktop users, and then ten times that on the server side? It was WAY more servers than desktops, that I do remember.
genericdave
Citizen

Post by genericdave »

That's actually a lot more than I was expecting.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

nevon wrote:Maybe like 2-3 million desktop users
How's that possible? We sold at least 10 times that!
nevon

Post by nevon »

bartbes wrote:
nevon wrote:Maybe like 2-3 million desktop users
How's that possible? We sold at least 10 times that!
Well yeah, but that must have been because all of those server admins also bought it.
EmmanuelOga
Citizen

Post by EmmanuelOga »

Since the .love package is what you get when you pay, and it contains the source code... would it be ok for the publishers if the source was hosted somewhere, say, code.google or github?

That way many ppl would have access to the game for free (it would be almost donationware) but in a bittorrent world, that can happen to any game eventually.

Probably the ppl interested in the game and/or supporting the developers would buy it anyway.

EDIT: I'm asking this as a general consideration for love games, not specifically asking you to upload the volley brawl source somewhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://EmmanuelOga.com
nevon

Post by nevon »

EmmanuelOga wrote:Since the .love package is what you get when you pay, and it contains the source code... would it be ok for the publishers if the source was hosted somewhere, say, code.google or github?
No. Redistributing the game without our permission would be in breach of the license.
EmmanuelOga
Citizen

Post by EmmanuelOga »

nevon wrote:
EmmanuelOga wrote:Since the .love package is what you get when you pay, and it contains the source code... would it be ok for the publishers if the source was hosted somewhere, say, code.google or github?
No. Redistributing the game without our permission would be in breach of the license.
I wasn't talking about volley brawl:
EmmanuelOga wrote: EDIT: I'm asking this as a general consideration for love games, not specifically asking you to upload the volley brawl source somewhere.
So my question is if an author can publish a game through this publisher and also retain the right to post the sources elsewhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://EmmanuelOga.com
nevon

Post by nevon »

EmmanuelOga wrote:
EmmanuelOga wrote: EDIT: I'm asking this as a general consideration for love games, not specifically asking you to upload the volley brawl source somewhere.
So my question is if an author can publish a game through this publisher and also retain the right to post the sources elsewhere.
Oh! I see. That's something you'll have to discuss with them. In our agreement, we've retained the rights to publish the game for any non-competing platform (so other Linux distros, Windows, and OS X, primarily), so I'm sure it'd be possible to negotiate for it. Moreover, (again, this is in our case) our agreement is only valid for a period of 12 months. After that, we renegotiate the terms or end our cooperation. So if nothing else, you could release it for a period (6-12 months) and then release the source after that.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I just noticed that Volley Brawl is featured on the OMG! Ubuntu Software page for the guide to Natty.

http://omgubuntu.co.uk/natty/#software

Congrats!
When I write def I mean function.