snarp

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
trosh
Prole

snarp

Post by trosh »

Hello fellow lovers :crazy:
I'm kind of new to love2d, so I've created several basic games for the past two or three months, including a pong with ball effects, a 2d cubefield, a game of life, and right now I made a simple no-fancy snake game with warps
v.1 : Image v.2 : Image
Please tell me what you think of the game so far, what you think is wrong with the game and how to make the movement controls better (that would be nice :P)
The warps are kind of useless right now, they're just fun to watch and sometimes cause unexpected murders :joker:
Sadly the game sometimes randomly crashes (well it freezes), that sucks
There's only a main.lua file, because I didn't really pay attention to graphics, so zipping it makes it about a billion times heavier
Attachments
snake.love
2nd version (27/11/11, 22:14)
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Last edited by trosh on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: snarp

Post by Robin »

Nice.

It is a bit small, making it rather hard once you grow a bit, and the controls could be a bit more responsive.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

As Robin said, it's quite small. A bigger grid would be nice. And take into account that new computers have huge resolutions nowadays, the window may be too small for them. But also some of us still use old (>6 years) computers. So yeah, resolution is always a tricky thing.

The game is quite good, I liked it. It reminds me of my mother's Nokia 3310 :awesome: It's fun so, huge sucess there :ultrahappy:
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

For a start it's ok but wait a 7.7mb file for this?
Why you have "hidden" inside the same NIN tracks as Snake's Slime project? ;D
Well at least I can run this snake project! Keep working on that!
trosh
Prole

Post by trosh »

wow ! it's really cool to get an answer this fast :)
thx for the feedback, now you can make it bigger or smaller with [ and ], change speed with { and } (sorry for non qwerty users :S), speed increases when snake eats food, reload with r, there are two couples of warps (which forced me to change some colours), and the amount of food fandomly increases. yeah !
It also took me quite a while, but I now corrected the movement system (if you press in two directions quickly, it reacts accordingly)
It now weighs 1.3 ko ! joy.
so will re-edit first post with updated game.
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

Cool, nice work. I tried to make it crash by making a warp with a big screen and reducing the screen until one of the points is out. The snake comes out the warp outside the screen and you can return it into the screen, that's cool. Bad thing is, the apple was also outside the screen so I couldn't catch it until resizing it big again xD

I've been playing around and you've done a superb work with the resizing tool, congratulations :awesome:
trosh
Prole

Post by trosh »

well, that's really nice to hear, but I guess it's because it's super simple (I always make every position in my games relative to 'w' and 'h' so I just had to incerment these two values and reload the graphics), So yeah I guess I should also prevent apples from getting blocked out (though technically they still exist, you just have to make the window big again to reach them :D )
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Considering you had the source to an old version of Snayke in there for a little bit, I am now allowed to borrow (steal) the portal mechanic for my game, if I choose. :P
trosh
Prole

Post by trosh »

@slime : Lol, please do :D
However the fact that I had snayke's content inside my first version was an accident, my zip command probably considered that all folders beggining with 'snake' should be thrown in the .love file ^^
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I accidentally started zipping my home folder once, instead of a love project...