Löve Splash Screen (code)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
philnelson
Prole

Löve Splash Screen (code)

Post by philnelson »

I've started working on a Löve Splash Screen, for displaying in front of games. It's really simple, but I kinda like it. I know the animation is far from effecient, but I'm sure one of you can clean it up. Included is the quick little jingle I made in GarageBand.

Any of my work in this package I hereby release into the public domain.
lovesplash.love.zip
(218.4 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Löve Splash Screen (code)

Post by bartbes »

Skofo
Party member

Post by Skofo »

He apparently uses OSX, that tutorial you linked is for Windows XP. ;)

Also, pretty cute splash screen, there. ^^ I personally find splash screens annoying and unncessary, but this might be useful for anyone who wishes to use one.
Working on: Viator
Need a 64-bit Debian package for LÖVE? Here it is!
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Skofo wrote:He apparently uses OSX, that tutorial you linked is for Windows XP. ;)
It explains the basic .love structure, which is all I was talking about. The point is all the wrong-packaged files at the moment, they've grown explosively since the new mac build.
philnelson
Prole

Post by philnelson »

I'm confused as to how this is "wrong-packaged", the only thing that is different about it than the tutorial states is that it ends with the suffix .love.zip instead of simply .love.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

the correct package is a zip file with love as its extension rather than zip

you have a zip file which contains a folder.love

!@$#*in mac users, er um im just kidding (runs to hide his mac)
Skofo
Party member

Post by Skofo »

philnelson wrote:I'm confused as to how this is "wrong-packaged", the only thing that is different about it than the tutorial states is that it ends with the suffix .love.zip instead of simply .love.
See, Windows users have this thing where they can just double-click their .love file and it works for them. A lot of them get their panties in a twist when it's improperly packaged/suffixed. ;)

The problem with your file is not only that it's with a .zip suffix instead of .love, but also the .zip archive contains the folder which contains your game instead of the actual game files themselves, so you can't run it even if you rename it to have a .love suffix.

It's supposed to be game.love -> main.lua, not game.love -> game.love -> main.lua. The latter is how your archive is now.

I'm guessing that OSX's default functionality makes it hard for you to create a proper .love file, since I saw another Mac user do the same exact thing as you. I made a bash script to automate the making of .love files for you, just put this in the folder containing your main.lua file, run it, and a .love file will be made right outside of that folder. http://willhostforfood.com/files4/6468604/lovify.sh ^^

Also, I've taken the liberty of making your .love file for you. :P
Attachments
lovesplash.love
(185.12 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Working on: Viator
Need a 64-bit Debian package for LÖVE? Here it is!
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

I like the idea of this splash screen, but I have an idea for you:

made with
LÖVE

It needs to be done..
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
philnelson
Prole

Post by philnelson »

I double-click to run .love files all the time. It works great on OS X, as well. It seems like the problem is more with windows not accepting folders with the .love suffix, which the OS X.app does. Why shouldn't it work both ways? How does the linux binary work?

@mike: That's more or less what the splash screen says, actually.
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

philnelson wrote:I double-click to run .love files all the time. It works great on OS X, as well. It seems like the problem is more with windows not accepting folders with the .love suffix, which the OS X.app does. Why shouldn't it work both ways? How does the linux binary work?

@mike: That's more or less what the splash screen says, actually.
OS X is pretty much the only operating system that recognises folders with an extension as files.