Compiling?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: Compiling?

Post by kikito »

As robin is saying, "compiled" is not equal to "closed source".

Just to give you an example, see this article about Another World. The article is a very good read, but aside from that, it illustrates the fact that even if the original source code was compiled C/C++, if someone is dedicated enough, they can decompile it.

So, as robin is saying, the simplest solution if you want to do a closed source game would be: create executables for windows, mac and linux, and then distribute them along a license that says "you are not allowed to unencrypt, decompress or otherwise mingle with the source code of this game".
Last edited by kikito on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

kikito wrote:So, as robin is saying, the simplest solution if you want to do a closed source game would be: create executables for windows, mac and linux, and then distribute them along a license that says "you are not allowed to unencrypt, decompress or otherwise mingle with the source code of this game".
In fact, if you want, you can sell the source code as well, with a license that prohibits your client from further distributing it (although regular copyright will do that for you anyway). That's closed source, but not hidden source.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
qrux
Prole

Post by qrux »

So basically just use some kind of license instead of making it hard for the user? That's a way of doing it :awesome:
Last edited by qrux on Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clickrush
Citizen

Post by clickrush »

This is how a free software fanatic would read this thread:

carlman:"Hey guys, I know you don't like evilness but can I make LÖVE evil?"
lovers:"No you can't make LÖVE evil but you can threaten people who want to use it in a good way!"
qrux:"Thanks this is clever lol."

No offense to anyone I just found this hilarious in a metaphoric way ^^
Sry about my english.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

To clarify: I don't think closed source is evil by itself. I'm fortunate enough to get paid to do some open source work, but a lot of my programming job is still closed source.
When I write def I mean function.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

carlman wrote:Why? Even the wiki says:
"LÖVE is totally free, and can be used in anything from friendly open-source hobby projects, to evil, closed-source commercial ones."
Open- and closed-source are legal terms, not technical ones. You could have a closed-source program with or without the source hidden. Being closed-source just means that nobody is allowed to copy/modify/distribute the source.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Evil_Bartek
Prole

Post by Evil_Bartek »

I've seen a game called not-tetris and it was an exe but was made in love.
clickrush
Citizen

Post by clickrush »

kikito wrote:To clarify: I don't think closed source is evil by itself. I'm fortunate enough to get paid to do some open source work, but a lot of my programming job is still closed source.
I just found the terminology funny in a metaphoric way. As for me I don't think either is evil as well and I'am very against enforcing moral standards on other poeple anyways. "Good" and "evil" are terms I cannot take for serious thus using them makes me giggle :D

The only moral (personal) decision I made concerning this is: When I use free software (and I mean free in every way) then I also have to give something back. This is why I want to make free software myself (not that anyone would buy it anyways lol). The reason I want to make games is passion :)
Evil_Bartek wrote:I've seen a game called not-tetris and it was an exe but was made in love.
if you mean this: http://stabyourself.net/nottetris2/
then the source is available on this site.
Sry about my english.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

and if you open the exe with a decompression utility you can clearly see its contents
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

carlman wrote:I know some of you hates DRM and stuff like that, but nonetheless some people want it.
Fools. :P

Also, technically, you could build your own version of love with a decoder for your source in, so it's possible, just hard.