State of the attempt to natively port love to android

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
kalle2990
Party member

Re: State of the attempt to natively port love to android

Post by kalle2990 »

Not sure whether or not to report my progress here each time I do relevant changes, please comment if you wish me to open my own thread or to keep this information at github ;)

Anyway, new day, new updates!

[For developers]
If there were problems migrating my work because of occurring errors, this should be fixed now.

[Features]
Support for continuous updating of the pointer (finger) coordinates. Games which depends on movements of the cursor should now be compatible. :ultrahappy:

Downloads and source code is available at my github.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

kalle2990 wrote:Not sure whether or not to report my progress here each time I do relevant changes, please comment if you wish me to open my own thread or to keep this information at github ;)

Anyway, new day, new updates!

[For developers]
If there were problems migrating my work because of occurring errors, this should be fixed now.

[Features]
Support for continuous updating of the pointer (finger) coordinates. Games which depends on movements of the cursor should now be compatible. :ultrahappy:

Downloads and source code is available at my github.
Awesome! Will test my game with this version!

EDIT: It totally works!!

Moe wrote:We started the native port with the intention of a Löve game launcher, the possibility to attach a single game only was a feature request right here in the forums. We will work on this feature, but my main focus will remain on our original target. And yes, this includes joypad and keyboard games.
So, to make things clear, our targets are:
1. Make Löve stable.
2. Add Android support and add emulation for non-native features, e.g. joypad.
3. Have a cool launcher.
4. Improve performance.
5. Enable developers to release single game releases.
And yes, the list is in the order of my personal preferences. Now, you can hate me :joker:
I don't hate you. Your, and the other's, awesome work on this is the best thing that has happened for single game stand-alone game development on Android since Google fixed the garbage collection in Android. And that was huge.

Also, a whole other thing. Love-native-android has permissions to full internet access. Is internet support (through luasocket) planned? Because THAT would be totaly epic.
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

T-Bone wrote: Also, a whole other thing. Love-native-android has permissions to full internet access. Is internet support (through luasocket) planned? Because THAT would be totaly epic.
I tried using luasocket this morning (as it is included in the project), and it worked. Not sure if everything works, but at least the http.request method does ;)
hagish
Citizen

Post by hagish »

Then I think the complete luasocket lib should work because we didn't do anything special compiling the lib.
Moe
Party member

Post by Moe »

kalle2990 wrote:Not sure whether or not to report my progress here each time I do relevant changes, please comment if you wish me to open my own thread or to keep this information at github ;)
Great job, I think we should split between development and discussion - this thread is already like an endless story and not fun if you look for updates.
T-Bone wrote:I don't hate you. Your, and the other's, awesome work on this is the best thing that has happened for single game stand-alone game development on Android since Google fixed the garbage collection in Android. And that was huge.
I had been kidding. And I love the joker smiley :awesome: So don't worry about that.
Also, a whole other thing. Love-native-android has permissions to full internet access. Is internet support (through luasocket) planned? Because THAT would be totaly epic.
As said before, it is already integrated. Please test all features you need and post bug reports.
tsturzl
Party member

Post by tsturzl »

Will bluetooth be implemented? This would be pretty cool for multiplayer.
Moe
Party member

Post by Moe »

tsturzl wrote:Will bluetooth be implemented? This would be pretty cool for multiplayer.
We like to implement such things. But it is one of the TODO-list points and we also have to design a lövely API.
tsturzl
Party member

Post by tsturzl »

Moe wrote:
tsturzl wrote:Will bluetooth be implemented? This would be pretty cool for multiplayer.
We like to implement such things. But it is one of the TODO-list points and we also have to design a lövely API.
I'd say implement it as an addition to luasocket. There were python modules that did this, and it seems like an easier way to doing it.

No need for an API, no need for a new library, etc.

with luasocket you have udp,tcp, why not have something like "bt" for bluetooth, then you have the whole special bluetooth discovery/handshake mumbo jumbo, and then the rest of the functions work just like they would for any other networking protocol(send, recv, recvall,sendto).