Problem with module

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Chrishas
Prole

Problem with module

Post by Chrishas »

Hi,
I'm trying to run the demos included in the source of love and I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Loading of module failed. Failed loading /usr/lib/love/./liblove_sdltimer.so: /usr/lib/love/./liblove_sdltimer.so: undefined symbol: lua_getmetatable
I'm running Slackware 12.0,and I managed to make love without errors, although i had to copy love/lib from my home folder to /usr/lib.
Any help?

Edit: Irrelevant, but maybe you should try breaking up the forum into different sections, if you wait until later you will probably end up wasting a lot of time sorting threads into the different sections. Plus if you keep it this way it will be hard to tell whether a subject is for support or just something general..., just a suggestion.
rude
Administrator

Re: Problem with module

Post by rude »

liblove_sdltimer.so is the first module loaded, so it looks like it didn't link with Lua properly (or at all). But you say it's made with no errors ...

There are lot's of people with more Linux-know-how than me here ... so step up people. :)

I'll also direct tido (Linux maintainer) to this thread if/when he appears on Skype.
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

Hmm, is your Lua version 5.0 or 5.1?
Chrishas
Prole

Post by Chrishas »

It's 5.1
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Ok, I'm not going to pretend to know what's wrong, so we'll just have to wait for tido.

Meanwhile, which version of gcc do you use? (He would probably want to know that).

(^.^)/
Chrishas
Prole

Post by Chrishas »

Gcc 4.1.2. maybe lua must be installed with an option or somthing.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Seems like tido is nowhere to be seen these days ...

I can download Slackware and try things for myself (I always wanted to try it), but that would take a few days. ^^

Does Slackware have a package manager, btw?
tido
Prole

Post by tido »

Which version are you compiling? I fear that Slackware might have a totally different Lua structure. In that case, I guess we'll have no choice but to install it and see for ourselves... :/

Edit: Slackware has a package system with many clients it seems. It'd be nice if you could give us a crash course. :D

Edit #2: Wait a minute, if you had to manually copy your shared libs to the proper folder, then you're using an ancient Makefile system. We've moved over to Automagic, aka Autoconf + Automake, that will take care of stuff such as _properly_ linking to Lua. The current SVN doesn't compile, but that should be fixed in a few days.

Edit #3: Current SVN _does_ compile.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Update: talked it over with tido and concluded that automagic stuff still isn't 100% done. If you still want to try current SVN, run:

Code: Select all

libtoolize && aclocal && autoconf && automake -a
./configure
make
make install
But, to be honest, it will most likely fail miserably until we've tested it on Slackware for ourselves. (Still downloading).
farvardin
Party member

Post by farvardin »

I got this "Failed loading /usr/lib/love/./liblove_sdltimer.so: /usr/lib/love/./liblove_sdltimer.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory", but it's just because the lib are supposed to be kept in /usr/lib and nowhere else (like /usr/local/lib for example)