TeroTron

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
retrotails
Party member

TeroTron

Post by retrotails »

History:
2D, you can move Tero. Has a background. No floormats or kitchen sink included.
Added settings.lua and features for it.
Not really that big of a release.
Adds debug text display thing which is convenient for me more then anything else.
Makes the background cooler and canvas-free.
Added a few seconds of a song I recreated from ripped samples from Robotron 64. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIh9262nVCc

So I'm working on another clone. The Mario Kart clone may have been short-lived, but now I'm able to properly use my Dvorak keyboard, and this project shouldn't require anything above my Algebra 1 education. That game was also just something I made to demonstrate the scanline engine, which I made for this game to begin with.

Anyway, this is a Robotron clone, with pre-rendered sprites. Later on I hope to make kickass music, soundeffects, and pre-rendered, animated characters. I also want to make the game original and not just a straight-up clone.

You might think, from my previous projects, that I never finish stuff. That's mostly true, but I plan on getting far in this one, the other 'projects' were meant to only be tests.
Last edited by retrotails on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: TeroTron

Post by Jasoco »

Are you giving up on a Mario Kart clone?

Anyway, once again impressive. Keep going with your Mode 7 stuff. I still need to look at how it's done.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

I have, in fact, given up on that clone. Also I have no mouse so development is slow...
I tried to draw an enemy. After some intense, made-up math...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdjCb4LwQY
I wish I could do this. Also, what is left in this .love is remnants of me randomly throwing in numbers that seemed like they were important. I'll still try to have this game use mode 7 if I can.
Attachments
terotron.love
(292.17 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yeah, it looks like you're having problems calculating where the objects are supposed to be drawn on your 3D Mode 7 map. Which is the same problem I'd probably have if I tried to use your method. My method works in such a way that even the floor is raycasted so it draws correctly.

Also, when you have objects and characters that need to overlap or appear in front of another, you need to use table.sort to sort them by their distance from the camera, or y value in non-3D environments. Else they draw in the wrong order and you end up with frontmost objects drawing behind backmost ones. e.g. the two characters in your example above.

Which is why all my projects will have a "draw pool" that I add all my tiles, sprites, enemies, NPC's, characters, whatever into, then I sort it by its Y or Distance so that farther objects are drawn first (Depending on if it's 2D or 3D) and draw them using a for loop to run through all of them. I usually have a table called drawPool that contains a list of all of them with data telling it where on the screen to draw it, what scale to draw it, what image and quad to use, what offset to use. All of this is pretty quick and doesn't really hurt the framerate much at all as long as it's done right.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Hi,
Just dropping down to say that I found this tech demo amazing.
I've been unavailable these times, so I may have missed the Markio Kart Clone and the Mode 7 stuff you're talking about, but I guess I have to look up in the previous topics.
Once again, keep up the good work. Looks very promising. :awesome:
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:Hi,
Just dropping down to say that I found this tech demo amazing.
I've been unavailable these times, so I may have missed the Markio Kart Clone and the Mode 7 stuff you're talking about, but I guess I have to look up in the previous topics.
Once again, keep up the good work. Looks very promising. :awesome:
Welcome back Roland, this is what you looking for
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9984
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Apart from Z ordering, which is no big deal at all, I got this done on my netbook while traveling. Anybody have any tips? UDLR moves Tero, WASD moves Akvo (real creative, I know...)
edit: Almost... there... I probably messed something up in there and there's probably an easier way to do it.
edit2: I give up on the mode 7.
Attachments
TeroTron2.love
edit
(292.34 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
TeroTron.love
(292.32 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Forgive the double post, I had to do it!
The game is now strictly 100% 2D, as I don't know enough to do anything else. It has been greatly reduced in size. I added the plasma effect by stripwax and removed the large file that used to be the floor texture. It's currently the game floor, but it will be used as a trippy, moving background. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytazqffB ... lpage#t=4s
It's hacktastic, with so many stupid hacks you'd think it's SNES9X. It does support any resolution and full screen with F11, though.

The current trippy background is meant to follow the beat to a song. Use 1 and 2 to change its BPM.
Also, I made a shader! OK, so really I slightly altered the Love Wiki's demo. But I still did something.
Updated .love, see first post.
edit: Forgot to ask, does love.graphics.newScreenshot() need canvas support or anything?
stripwax
Prole

Post by stripwax »

Any chance you could make the shader pixel effects optional? I can't run the latest .love on my lowly netbook :-(
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

retrotails wrote: edit: Forgot to ask, does love.graphics.newScreenshot() need canvas support or anything?
It doesn't.