What IDE are you using?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
luaz
Citizen

What IDE are you using?

Post by luaz »

Just wondering... I dislike Notepad++ a lot personally. I wonder if others are using it (as most seem to note that), or something else? Both from curiosity and from the desire to get a better IDE, maybe even with Love2D function support (autocomplete, etc.).
If you're going to reply to my post, consider posting an (preferably working) example - 99.7% of time time, I already know how to implement the feature theoretically! ;) I don't learn very well from references, etc....
dreadkillz
Party member

Re: What IDE are you using?

Post by dreadkillz »

No IDE for me. Just notepad++ and the Lua manual and Love wiki open at all times when I work.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

I use nano and gedit. One trick that I use, that I'm not sure many do is I use symlinks in my project.

So I have:
/libs
/lib/gui
/lib/music
/lib/potato
/game1
/game1/gui -> ../../lib/gui
/game1/music -> ../../lib/music
/game2
/game1/gui -> ../../lib/gui
/game1/potato -> ../../lib/potato

But then you have to be careful when you actually run the game, because love doesn't like symlinks!

I get around that with this: https://raw.github.com/josefnpat/LD24/master/run.sh
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

As for Notepad++ I understand, as it seems popular.

As for Gedit/Nano - why not use something that's actually made for .lua? As far as I know, Gedit/Nano doesn't even have syntax highlighting. Although, I've used Linux for a very short period of time, a long time ago. I like my Photoshop, Visual Studio, and all that fancy stuff Windows has to offer. :D
If you're going to reply to my post, consider posting an (preferably working) example - 99.7% of time time, I already know how to implement the feature theoretically! ;) I don't learn very well from references, etc....
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

luaz wrote:As for Gedit/Nano - why not use something that's actually made for .lua? As far as I know, Gedit/Nano doesn't even have syntax highlighting.
What are you talking about? Google before you say things like this!

gEdit has Syntax Highlighting as one of the core syntax. (win, os x and linux)

nano has .nanorc versions (http://code.matthewwild.co.uk/nano-lua-highlighting/)
luaz wrote:I like my Photoshop, Visual Studio, and all that fancy stuff Windows has to offer. :D
Just to be clear, fancy doesn't always mean better. Give me nano/gEdit/notepad++ over Visual Studio any day of the week. I will give in that photoshop is better than gimp, but photoshop costs hard $$$.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I prefer gedit. Simplicity is good, it has the features you want and nothing else.
AntonioModer
Party member

Post by AntonioModer »

luaz wrote:Just wondering... I dislike Notepad++ a lot personally. I wonder if others are using it (as most seem to note that), or something else? Both from curiosity and from the desire to get a better IDE, maybe even with Love2D function support (autocomplete, etc.).
Notepad++ have autocomplete of functions and words.
I use Notepad++ with autocomplete.
pk
Citizen

Post by pk »

luaz wrote:I like my Photoshop, Visual Studio, and all that fancy stuff Windows has to offer. :D
Visual Studio might be a viable option, but from what I hear, writing plugins for it is a pain, plugins break with every new release, and the free versions don't even include the plugin API.

Really, open source programs like Emacs and Vim have always had far better support for other languages.
josefnpat wrote:I will give in that photoshop is better than gimp, but photoshop costs hard $$$.
Going a bit off topic here, but maybe people don't know that Photoshop is affordable for mere mortals now, at least here in the U.S. I'm renting Photoshop CS 6 for $20 USD a month. :cool:
ALL CREATURE WILL DIE AND ALL THE THINGS WILL BE BROKEN. THAT'S THE LAW OF SAMURAI.
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Windows: notepad++
mac: TextWrangler
I always have the forum, my emails, my repository, love wiki and youtube open.
Occasionally i leave the lua manual or metamethod page open.
Lua is not an acronym.