ochres: HSL palette composer

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
spir
Citizen

ochres: HSL palette composer

Post by spir »

Hello,

Just created 'ochres', a color definer and palette composer using HSL (not HSV!).
This is my first trial at doing anything with Löve, which --indeed-- I just love. An opportunity to explore the framwork. Too bad it's not yet a game, but that will come...

I would thus really enjoy comments and (sensible) critics on:
* interface, usability, design
* code organisation, style
* use of Löve, idiomatic code

The .love pack is at https://bitbucket.org/denispir/lov/down ... chres.love.
There is a single actual Lua module, ochres.lua, plus a few utilities and main.lua.
User help integrated.

Thank you,
Denis
... la vita e estrany ...
Santos
Party member

Re: ochres: HSL palette composer

Post by Santos »

The link doesn't work for me, is the repo private?

EDIT: Works now! :)
Last edited by Santos on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spir
Citizen

Post by spir »

Santos wrote:The link doesn't work for me, is the repo private?
Oups! Just created it and did not check that... should work now, would you check?

Denis
spir
Citizen

Post by spir »

Updated with a few fixes for minor bugs, created an online repository and a wiki page.
(The also wiki points to the .love package.)
Denis
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Nice stuff... what about YUV ;D
Lua is not an acronym.
Lap
Party member

Post by Lap »

I like it. I would suggest adding in a few buttons that automatically add some recommended companion colors to the current color.

See http://colorschemedesigner.com/ for some examples.
spir
Citizen

Post by spir »

qaisjp wrote:Nice stuff... what about YUV ;D
Thank you.
Well, YUV seems interesting, but I don't what use we may have of it in ordinary software.

Denis
spir
Citizen

Post by spir »

Lap wrote:I like it. I would suggest adding in a few buttons that automatically add some recommended companion colors to the current color.

See http://colorschemedesigner.com/ for some examples.
Thank you.

Yes, this may be a nice add-on, but a bit complicated to set up for me as of now (especially without using a GUI lib, which I try to avoid).
However, once you have understood how HSL works, then it provides a kind of direct access to defining colors that fit well together. That's the whole point, compared to RGB (or worse, a "distorted" color space like HSV). For instance, the schemes recommended on the site you mention are just color nicely distributing on hue: they take the complementary color (oppsite hue) for a scheme of 2, two colors around this complement for a scheme of 3, finally these 2 complements plus another close to the original for a scheme of 4.

Denis
spir
Citizen

Post by spir »

Uploaded new version, still at ochres.love.

Was for a bug: I first had scales computed every frame (for testing), with every grade converted hsl --> rgb; then forgot to let them store computed values in an array, and only recompute when the color is changed; now, they do! ;)
Also changed vertical size of scales to 128 pixels, so that I don't need to compute grade values (eh, it's just y*2!)...

However, on my computer weak and old computer, it takes much CPU power (say, > 80%, and frame rate is about 37 FPS). Don't know if it's "normal". The program does not compute anything once load() is done, as long as the user does not change colors. Can someone tell me?

Denis
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

Looks intresting.
One thing I would like to have was to just hold the left mouse button instead of click everytime to change the settings. ( slider ).