[Jam Game]: Pimps vs Vampires

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
zapaman
Prole

[Jam Game]: Pimps vs Vampires

Post by zapaman »

Hi everyone.
So I just took part in a 7day game jam called "F*ck this jam". The theme was to make a game in a genre we hate/despise or had little to no experience with. I hold a "personal" grudge against shooters and share quite a bit of interest for Roguelikes. Thus I decided to combine elements of shooting and roguelike games. The result was Pimps vs Vampires, a 2D turnbased shooter with roguelike elements.

Pathfinding for the enemies is powered by the lovely JUMPER lib. There was also a roguelike love2D project (that was canned as far as I know) from which I borrowed a few elements (built and prototyped uppon it). The game can be downloaded and played from here. It only contains 1 level (planning on adding some form of dungeon generation later on), as we didn't have much time at our disposal.

I have also attached the .love file for the game. The code is a mess since I decided to add a few unplanned features today, so I hacked them in. Hope you enjoy playing it as much as I loved working on it, and working with Love.

Edit: I have open sourced the source code for PvV (under CC-A 3.0), and hosted it on Github. I plan on developing it further, under the name of TargetRogue.
Attachments
game.love
(3.41 MiB) Downloaded 283 times
Last edited by zapaman on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
coffee
Party member

Re: [Jam Game]: Pimps vs Vampires

Post by coffee »

Since I know, studied and have almost every piece of rogues made with Love I had sure that I saw some pieces of your code in some other game. You didn't even removed the original comments so was easy to find what game was since I remember very well see that multiple layer concept. It's clearly from this game:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1942
The copyright status seems to be the free use but you forget to give the credits as indicated in top.
-- Copyright - Creative Commons Attribution (cc by)
-- AKA anyone is free to use, alter and add nice things to this. just give original credits
Well you didn't that and I think me or someone else here wouldn't like you guys do the same with us. It's never respectful use other code with proper mention.
zapaman
Prole

Post by zapaman »

@coffee: I clearly stated I borrowed a few elements from another roguelike on the forum. I used that project, as a base for a Level Editor, in order to prototype some elements of the game, and then built uppon it. Thanks for linking me to the project, I'll give credit where credit is due.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

zapaman wrote:@coffee: I clearly stated I borrowed a few elements from another roguelike on the forum. I used that project, as a base for a Level Editor, in order to prototype some elements of the game, and then built uppon it. Thanks for linking me to the project, I'll give credit where credit is due.
Not the question to say it's not yours but that you didn't give the respective credits as asked by that author. It seems there isn't no discussion on that even that looks very canned. A lot of projects around are stopped (finished or incomplete) or dropped but the licenses are always valid till the end.

When I arrived here that game was to be actually also the base of one of my games but I drop it. But I wouldn't never dare release it without the required mention as asked by the author. If it's asked we should do it right? I think you do well give the credits.

Here in forum we look licenses in a very serious way. Games are usually free to use and alter but we always obey the few license demands.

By the way nice game but for I noticed it's very frustrating level up. I killed a lot and never actually reached level 2.
zapaman
Prole

Post by zapaman »

Not the question to say it's not yours but that you didn't give the respective credits as asked by that author. It seems there isn't no discussion on that even that looks very canned. A lot of projects around are stopped (finished or incomplete) or dropped but the licenses are always valid till the end.

When I arrived here that game was to be actually also the base of one of my games but I drop it. But I wouldn't never dare release it without the required mention as asked by the author. If it's asked we should do it right?
^ Understood. I'll do my best to rectify that issue, and the binaries will also be updated as soon as I push an update, with more content, and a cleaner code base.
By the way nice game but for I noticed it's very frustrating level up. I killed a lot and never actually reached level 2.
Enemies do not award XP anymore, since we droped the entire stats system, in order to allow the player to focus more on weapons and how to combine them for a more effective strategy. Working on the game right now, in order to clean up the "jam messiness", fix a couple of bugs, and add some new content [even integrating the editor].
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

zapaman wrote:
Enemies do not award XP anymore, since we droped the entire stats system, in order to allow the player to focus more on weapons and how to combine them for a more effective strategy. Working on the game right now, in order to clean up the "jam messiness", fix a couple of bugs, and add some new content [even integrating the editor].
So actually you got another "problem". The game is no longer have something roguelike. (no stats/no random generated map, so no anti-roguelike). Your game using that kind of turns actually reminds something close to X-Com. Well, good luck with this, all seems good but with very limited gameplay for now.
zapaman
Prole

Post by zapaman »

coffee wrote: So actually you got another "problem". The game is no longer have something roguelike. (no stats/no random generated map, so no anti-roguelike). Your game using that kind of turns actually reminds something close to X-Com. Well, good luck with this, all seems good but with very limited gameplay for now.
Actually, procedural map generation is an addition, soon to arrive. I experimented with dungeon generation (already implemented this) just not added it in the game, as I'm studying procedural object placement. The player will not have stats, but rather the weapons he uses, will contain atributes. Enemies have (basic) random stats. Weapon damage right now is calculated based on a random between their minimum and maximum damage output, as well as the distance they have to shoot at. It won't be a traditional roguelike, but will borrow heavely from it.