GLSL in Löve

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Xcmd
Party member

Re: GLSL in Löve

Post by Xcmd »

appleide wrote:The Mac sources are simply repackaged versions of the Linux sources and then compiled. (You could also compile linux sources on mac)... The statistics don't look too biased against non-windows users. Roughly 6 vs 4! =D
Sorry, the lone little mathematician in me demands we reduce that to 3:2 ratio. XD
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

bartbes wrote:Still weird, as a lot of frequent visitors here (including me) use Linux/Mac all/most of the time.
Yeah, that's the case with frequent visitors (or at least frequent posters). But I can imagine the bulk of the visitors are one-time guests, looking for an answer to a specific question, perhaps via Google. They could easily make up for a whole Windows demographic.
Xcmd wrote:
appleide wrote:Roughly 6 vs 4! =D
Sorry, the lone little mathematician in me demands we reduce that to 3:2 ratio. XD
Hmm. I actually feel like reducing that to 1.5:1 ^^.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
sauer2
Citizen

Post by sauer2 »

bartbes wrote:Still weird, as a lot of frequent visitors here (including me) use Linux/Mac all/most of the time.
Hmm, i guess this is because Linux is more developer friendly imo (compilers included, dependencies can be installed with a package system) and this engine is aimed towards developers. About Mac i don't know.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

sauer2 wrote:
Hmm, i guess this is because Linux is more developer friendly imo (compilers included, dependencies can be installed with a package system) and this engine is aimed towards developers. About Mac i don't know.
I think developers/programmers are generally computer-savvy ;) and among them the percentage people using non-Windows or multiple OSs is higher than with normal users. About Mac: it's the favorite OS for many artists, and they might be attracted to the aesthetics of LÖVE as well. Just guessing here, though. If you haven't noticed, I'm definitely not an artist ^^.
sauer2
Citizen

Post by sauer2 »

Robin wrote: I think developers/programmers are generally computer-savvy ;) and among them the percentage people using non-Windows or multiple OSs is higher than with normal users. About Mac: it's the favorite OS for many artists, and they might be attracted to the aesthetics of LÖVE as well. Just guessing here, though. If you haven't noticed, I'm definitely not an artist ^^.
Lol, my first thought about Mac was the same. but then i said myself that the Linux->Programmer prejudice must be enough. :P
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

sauer2 wrote:Lol, my first thought about Mac was the same. but then i said myself that the Linux->Programmer prejudice must be enough. :P
Well, yes, it's a generalization, but I believe it's true statistically. As in: not all artists use Mac, and not all Mac users are artists, but among Mac users, a higher percentage of artists can be found than among Windows users, etc.
fäbian
Prole

Post by fäbian »

Mac OS X also makes for a fine development platform, it comes with python, ruby, perl, gcc etc. and with macports it's easy to install more things from the command line.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

fäbian wrote:Mac OS X also makes for a fine development platform, it comes with python, ruby, perl, gcc etc. and with macports it's easy to install more things from the command line.
Yup. It's because Mac OS X is FreeBSD with a different graphics component and the "mach" kernel. A lot of people seemed to have missed that even though I'm pretty sure it's the number-one selling point for its servers.

(Edited for clarity. Kind of.)
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

thought it was net bsd, but it doesnt really matter
iza
Prole

Post by iza »

*bump*
I would really really want this feature. (not necessarily GLSL, but any sort of shader support)

I'm planning on making a game in which lighting would play an integral part, and the only good way I could see implementing it is with shaders.

Edit; On a somewhat related note, if shader support isn't feasible could we at least get a love.blend_multiply blend-mode? (added to feature tracker)