A Platformer With Love!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: A Platformer With Love!

Post by qubodup »

1. nice!
2. they seem to stay only in the center
3. finishing the game (or running out of time? I don't look at the clock if there is one) an then pressing z causes an error/bLOVEscreen
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

qubodup wrote:1. nice!
Thanks! :neko:
qubodup wrote:2. they seem to stay only in the center
What stays in the center? The stars?
qubodup wrote:3. finishing the game (or running out of time? I don't look at the clock if there is one) an then pressing z causes an error/bLOVEscreen
There is no time limit, so you probably finished the game ^^. And to be honest, I have never tested pressing a wrong key in the menu. Will check that out soon.

And congrats on the 400 posts :P
Help us help you: attach a .love.
whitebear
Citizen

Post by whitebear »

Add some Power to that jump.. I hate hitting the half tiles all the time. (and eventually falling through)
Game is simply too easy. Reason platformers are fun is because they were challenging. Make them shoot homing rockets or attach a damn lazer on their heads :D.
The power up could give the player a light sabre rip-off.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

whitebear wrote:Add some Power to that jump.. I hate hitting the half tiles all the time. (and eventually falling through)
I'm aware of that. :ehem: The solution is just twiddling with platform heights. Have you tried the other levels? I believe they have better-adjusted platforms than the default level.
Game is simply too easy. Reason platformers are fun is because they were challenging. Make them shoot homing rockets or attach a damn lazer on their heads :D.
The easiness of the game is deliberate. If I made it difficult now, it would be a challenge to test minor tweaks. Now that I think of it, I could of course make an optional "hard mode".
The power up could give the player a light sabre rip-off.
That's an idea. However, I'm a bit opposed to adding new graphics to the game, due to the me-sucking-at-making-graphics problem.
Garotas*Gostosas
Prole

Post by Garotas*Gostosas »

You could make the power-up allow you to shoot the stars...
I LOVE GAME, YEAH!
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Garotas*Gostosas wrote:You could make the power-up allow you to shoot the stars...
Like in Mario Galaxy, you mean?
Garotas*Gostosas
Prole

Post by Garotas*Gostosas »

Robin wrote:Like in Mario Galaxy, you mean?
That would be cool! :rofl: But instead of the stars you would use these " :P " of course...

There could be puzzles like: first you get the power up, then you shoot a switch which opens a door. But you need to have enough of
the " :P " following you, or you have no bullets... That means, don't touch your enemies!
Maybe with the power up the " :P " would always come back to you like the stars in "Mario Galaxy".

The downside is you would need to press an additional key to fire. I don't know if this is good, because there is no use for the key (yet?) when you have NO power up, which is quite a waste i think... Instead the " :P " could attack automaticaly every enemy or switch near you like the "turtle shield" in "Mario Kart" (am I a nintendo fanboy? :o ), or a horde of bees, but without beeing wasted. Say, for a given amount of time. Imagine this with such an armada like in test level 2! :ultrahappy: An one-man army! :vamp:

EDIT: Reading this I realize, this must be pretty hard to accomplish...

2nd EDIT: With the Power Up the " :P " should change into " 8-) " of course!
I LOVE GAME, YEAH!
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Garotas*Gostosas wrote:EDIT: Reading this I realize, this must be pretty hard to accomplish...
That were exactly my thoughts on this. When I'll go work on it again, I'll keep your suggestions in mind. ;)
Garotas*Gostosas wrote:2nd EDIT: With the Power Up the " :P " should change into " 8-) " of course!
+1 for that. 8-)
TehButter
Prole

Post by TehButter »

Im a good LUA scripter for a different game, so i need to adapt to LOVE functions.

This game is the meaning of epic... or it will be once its finished :neko:
My favorite part is in version 6(7?) where the Test2 custom stage, the little point thingy that multiplies while going to the right. I love how once you fill one ring of points, it fills ANOTHER ring, and another. It makes me feel so empowered somehow...

One thing, though:
How do you get the files from the .exe file? Other people can make changes to it, but all i see is a simple .love file. Doesnt allow me to explore it... when i open it with notepad its simply... all those weird symbols that make the .exe do stuff.

Im not that good with computers :|
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

TehButter wrote:Im a good LUA scripter for a different game, so i need to adapt to LOVE functions.
Welcome!
TehButter wrote:This game is the meaning of epic... or it will be once its finished :neko:
Glad you liked it! I don't know if it's (going to be) epic, but I'm flattered.

Now, to the problem:
TehButter wrote:How do you get the files from the .exe file? Other people can make changes to it, but all i see is a simple .love file. Doesnt allow me to explore it... when i open it with notepad its simply... all those weird symbols that make the .exe do stuff.
Try renaming it to jump6.zip. .love files are just renamed .zip archives. Don't worry, it confuses many people who are new to LÖVE.