LOVE Community Games

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Izzo
Prole

LOVE Community Games

Post by Izzo »

Do you have any?

Ok, here is the deal. If you are working on a game, which you wouldn't mind sharing with other developers and getting helped you can make a topic (if haven't already done so) and post the link here. Or if you are looking to work on a game with others you can likewise browse the suggestions and pick whichever you like the most. This will be where you can find community game projects.

The rules for submitting a project suggestion are simple:
  1. Games only
    This means no tools, engines, frameworks, tech demos, simulators or other non-playable things, it must be a real game with fun mechanics and all.
  2. Open source
    The project must be open source, so that everyone who wants can participate and must be hosted somewhere everyone can access (GitHub, Bitbucket, Sourceforge, Google Code... what else is there :roll:)
  3. Ideas accepted
    There is no need to have a demo, but your ideas need to be convincing if you want people to buy them and you have to prove that you're willing to work hard for them. On that note if you cannot program your ideas must be really really good.
  4. Roles and tasks
    You must clearly state how many people you need for starters and what kind of roles. Do you need programmers, story writers, assisting game designers, artists? You must also state what needs to be done, it doesn't have to be a complete plan but you should at least know how to keep every one busy.
Here are a couple of tips and hints (which are not worthy of becoming real rules):
  • Don't be overambitious
    You're planning the next AAA title game you are not gonna get far, better start as small as you can, then build up. Instead of declaring an open world RPG-shooter crossbreed with full fledged Turing-complete spell casting system and dynamically adjustable neuron-network based AI, just say you're making a small RPG with turn based combat which you plan to expand (you'll see that you'll throw most of the ideas out, by the time you make something fun). Having said that a big project is welcome, but only if you think you can manage one.
  • Don't forget you're competing for attention.
    If you make it look cool, sound cool, taste cool or smell cool you will get more people interested. Good summary, screenshots, videos are your best friends, also projects with demos will have better chances ;)
  • Don't rush to start a new project
    If your ideas are half baked and you don't know what you want to do exactly, but you want to do it bad, then take your time and think about it a little more before posting, you only need a few unique features to make your game stand out. Or better yet join an existing project, you might find one that scratches your itch :)
  • Don't hesitate to sell
    If you want to place it on Steam, GamersGame, IndieGameStand or somewhere else then you are encouraged to do so, the money is yours and you can do whatever you want with it, after all it is your game (it would be nice to consider donating to LÖVE though :ultraglee:). Just because it is open source doesn't mean you can't make profit.
The reason I made this topic was because I feel too uninspired to work on my own project, and am looking to join one, but the only LÖVE community project is dead. I'm sure there are others who would like to join on a group project and I thought it would be helpful if there was a list for that (or a separate forum or something else that makes them easier to find) so here it is. I'll manage the list on the front post if it gets too horrific, and may add or modify rules if I have to (comments are welcome btw).

All said and done let's make some signature LÖVE games, everyone :awesome:
monsieur_h
Citizen

Re: LOVE Community Games

Post by monsieur_h »

Hey, I have an idea I hesitate to present since a few months. But I still struggle to find a clear the way to communicate it. A full GDD looks like an overkill to me. Any advice on how to organize my thoughts?
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

monsieur_h wrote:Any advice on how to organize my thoughts?
I suggest a wiki :).
Izzo
Prole

Post by Izzo »

monsieur_h wrote:Hey, I have an idea I hesitate to present since a few months. But I still struggle to find a clear the way to communicate it. A full GDD looks like an overkill to me. Any advice on how to organize my thoughts?
Nah... GDDs are dead, only big companies use them out of necessity and they don't like them either, GDDs are way too clumsy, inefficient and rigid. For design purposes creating a wiki is a great idea and depending on the type of the game you want to make it may be the right thing for you, specifically if it is a story driven game with deep lore (RPGs, Adventures). On the other hand wikis are a good way to lose a though or idea and let it die in the obscurity of a rarely clicked URL (and people will rarely bother to link pages together on small wikis).

Another way to go about it is to create a design log, design logs are more suitable for mechanics driven games, and they suggest that you build a prototype as soon as possible, then base your design on it and build the next prototype. I don't know of many tools available for that, but any spreadsheet should do (including google docs).

Another good way is to use tagged notes (such as in blog posts) where you can blurt out any random ideas you have, but keep them organized by systems, story, art style, etc... this way you will have everything that is related to a specific domain grouped together and easy to find, the more meaningful your tags are the better... and on blogs people can post comments and suggestions :)

As for communicating your ideas the best way are demos/prototypes (as primitive as it is) that allow others to interact with your concepts. Next in line come references to other games (for instance links to youtube videos that show the kind of thing you have mind) or references to movies, articles, books or whatever inspired you in the first place. Also storyboards and mokup screens (pseudo-screenshots) are good way too illustrate how your game will look and feel, diagrams and visual representations of the internal systems can always help (but don't overdo them), and finally plain text description :)
kasmeltz
Prole

Post by kasmeltz »

A community game or something made by a small team sounds like a good idea. Then let's sell it everywhere we can! :-)

My current idea is to make something like Gauntlet, with more RPG elements (although not overkill) and possibly multiplayer co-op (network)...

Who wants in? :-P Anyways someone must have a better idea than that... :-)
interstellarDAVE
Prole

Post by interstellarDAVE »

I would love to contribute, because I am not the best in organizing code and this would help.

But the leader would need a clear design document and a list of new features and bugs that others could work on, so a site that supports issues (and actually use them) would be a must.
kasmeltz
Prole

Post by kasmeltz »

Here is the first prototype of my Gauntlet style game...
It is a very early thing that I did in an afternoon.
See how many evil spirits you can defeat!

Move using the arrow keys and fire your holy dagger using the left ctrl key

Wow... tons o' fun!

Source will be checked into https://github.com/kasmeltz/DungeonCrawler later tonight

If people want to work on a Gauntlet /RPG multiplayer game then let's start! Unless anyone has better ideas.....
Attachments
dungeon.love
(244.97 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
norubal
Party member

Post by norubal »

kasmeltz wrote: If people want to work on a Gauntlet /RPG multiplayer game then let's start! Unless anyone has better ideas.....
Multiplayer game? good! but I think multiplayer game have those problems:
- multiplayer game need centralized server, it should stable, but who runs it? (alternative: make 'host' program, and to connect game, you must insert host's IP.)
- multiplayer game need operatiors, to ban abusing.(like Russian alliance in Haven & hearth). but who wants monitor game constantly.

I'm not against make multiplayer game, but I think we have to solve those problems.. :(
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

For a Gauntlet, which would be a cooperative multiplayer game, the only "anti-cheat" things you would need is possibly a way to kick players that have AFKed; besides that, you're more than likely playing with friends, so it should be a common bond to not be a dick that keeps you from...being a dick.