Nihongo: a beautiful Japanese Hiragana trainer

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Ubermann
Party member

Nihongo: a beautiful Japanese Hiragana trainer

Post by Ubermann »

Look, this is so beautiful and cute:
io3TnUF.png
io3TnUF.png (401.05 KiB) Viewed 414 times
hOcfcqn.png
hOcfcqn.png (679.79 KiB) Viewed 414 times
(Click images to enlarge)

Nihongo is a löveable Hiragana trainer.

We all agree that Japanese is the most beautiful thing in this planet.
And in the case you are learning how to write or read it, this kawaii app will be great for you because:

In 1.1:
  • - Allows you to select testing Hiragana limits: from XXXX to YYYY
    - Scales and centers the background images for different window sizes
    - It is only 4 Megabytes
    - Loads in less than half second.
    - Includes all Hiraganas, including the compound, simple, and rare.
    - Makes your life better
In 1.0:
  • - It includes 70 Hiraganas with their roomanji transcription, using a fantastic handwritten-type hiragana font.
    - It generates random Hiraganas for you to practice without repeating them consecutively.
    - You can hide and show the roomanji transcription
    - You can toggle the top-left HUD text
    - You can test all hiraganas in the database including the compound ones, or only the simple ones.
    - You can press [SPACE BAR] or [CLICK ANY MOUSE BUTTON] to generate a new Hiragana
    - It shows you a random beautiful background with a Rising Sun's Country theme.
    - It will save your configuration for the next time you run it.
    - It will make you to become happier.

Download it and enjoy this beautiful app right now!!!
Attachments
Nihongo_1.1.love
(4.13 MiB) Downloaded 274 times
Last edited by Ubermann on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: Nihongo: a beautiful Japanese Hiragana trainer

Post by Nixola »

What would you suggest to someone that doesn't absolutely know Japanese? (And, since I don't know it, I think the best language is English, which is not even MY language)
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Ubermann
Party member

Post by Ubermann »

Nixola wrote:What would you suggest to someone that doesn't absolutely know Japanese? (And, since I don't know it, I think the best language is English, which is not even MY language)
Join a real Japanese class with real people and real teacher (i.e. bone and flesh people ^_^)

Also you will need to memorize Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji. In fact, learning ALL hiragana is necessary because it is like the Japanese alphabet.
If you can't find now a Japanese class, you can still start learning Hiragana at least, which is the most basic thing you can do.

You can see a list of all hiragana here:
http://japanese-lesson.com/resources/pd ... _chart.pdf

And here how you MUST pronounce them:
http://www.mit.edu/~isshinryu/pronun.html
If you prononunce them with "english" pronunciation, people in Japan will probably flee from you, or in the best case, bow towards you and leave you alone.

You will need to memorize them all.
To do so, you must start with the Gojuon, Dakuon and Han-dakuon, which are the tables in the left.
Next go for the tables in the right.

To learn them you must follow a certain order, which is from left to right and from top to bottom, in such table
For example, A, I, U , E, O,
next KA, KI, KU, KE, KO,
next SA SHI, SU , SE, SO
etc...
If you learn A, E, I, O, U instead of A, I, U, E, O, you will sink into problems later on.

Only learn the hiraganas in bold or black. The gray ones means that such combination do not exist.

For example w + i does not exists

I recommend you to learn one row per day. It's perfectly possible, and if I could do it, i'm sure you can too. And practice every day repeating what you have already learned.
There are a lot of APPs for Android that are similar to the program I did, but better search for "Obenkyo", for example. it's a really good app.

Once you know all Hiraganas, you should definitely join a class where people talks in Japanese. Otherwise you will only be able to read and write, but not talk.
In addition, when you know all Hiraganas, you could theoretically read any text that is written only with hiraganas, such as kid's books or some other easy texts, probably traffic signs and other texts, but you will not be able to understand what it says because you will not have vocabulary.
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Ubermann wrote:For example w + i does not exists….
That is not true, although ゐ is now so rare that it may as well be true. You’re only going to come across it in literature prior to 1940 or, rarely, in dialectal phrases from the Ryukyu region where ゐ represents a slightly different sound than い.
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
Ubermann
Party member

Post by Ubermann »

ejmr wrote:
Ubermann wrote:For example w + i does not exists….
That is not true, although ゐ is now so rare that it may as well be true. You’re only going to come across it in literature prior to 1940 or, rarely, in dialectal phrases from the Ryukyu region where ゐ represents a slightly different sound than い.

Well yes, but I didnt want to give more explanations.

Im tring right now on Android and it works except the font which shows boxes instead of the hiraganas.
If you know any JP font with glyphs that are power of two, we could fix this problem.
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Ubermann wrote:Im tring right now on Android and it works except the font which shows boxes instead of the hiraganas. If you know any JP font with glyphs that are power of two, we could fix this problem.
The ‘Ume Mincho’ font covers those rare kana, and I think I have seen it packaged for Android before, but honestly that is just off the top of my head so I could be wrong.

Also my apologies if my post sounded like I was trying to be annoyingly pedantic or anything; your post came across as if you're a student of Japanese, which is my second language, so I enjoy helping people learn it.
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
Ubermann
Party member

Post by Ubermann »

ejmr wrote:
Ubermann wrote:Im tring right now on Android and it works except the font which shows boxes instead of the hiraganas. If you know any JP font with glyphs that are power of two, we could fix this problem.
Also my apologies if my post sounded like I was trying to be annoyingly pedantic or anything; your post came across as if you're a student of Japanese, which is my second language, so I enjoy helping people learn it.
Pedantic? Not at all. Any tip will be welcome. :D

I will try this font you recommend. The problem with Android is that current love version for droid doesnt show fonts with letters not power of two.
I have been searching around but I couln't find any.
Ubermann
Party member

Post by Ubermann »

New version released, check first post for details and direct download the love file!!!

What's new:

- A lot of code tweaks
- Reduced package size from 13Mb to 4.1Mb!!!!!
- Added all Hiraganas: compound, simple and rare.
- Added "testing ranges": using left, right, up and down keys you can increase the range where the random Hiraganas will be taken. (Bottong-left of screen)
- Increased loading speed, so it now loads much more faster than previous version!!!
- You may change the screen width and height in the config file (nih.cfg)!!!!

Download it and check it out yourself!!!