gamequery + offtopic

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Pliskin09
Citizen

gamequery + offtopic

Post by Pliskin09 »

hey firstly could we have something like a proper offtopic board? :)

2ndly, anyone else seen gameQuery? Its a "Game engine" writen ontop of jquery (a javascript framework). in my opinion thats very awesome. i love the potential of how well games + the webpage can interact with each other. i mean, we've all seen those boring (IMHO anyway) RPG's that are all text based and in the browser. with gamequery you could really liven things up a bit - a javascript inventory with dragable items etc inside, some proper (but basic) intractable"fight" screens (rather than a "You won/lost!" message when you click on fight, etc. heck, you could combine all the ideas together (for example, in a battle you could open your inventory and drag a potion or something onto your character on another part of the webpage.

i know this is pretty much standard for any game out there, but in a way...being in a browser and all..it'd be much cooler. interacting with a website like never before.

and lastly, with all the work im seeing on web related applications right now (namely o3d and things like google doc's) i can really see how googles vision for a browser based OS could work. ^^
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: gamequery + offtopic

Post by TechnoCat »

I will have to check out gameQuery.
And I personally like that there is no off-topic board. It means everyone has to talk on-topic.
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

I would argue that "General" is pretty damned off-topic.
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

mike wrote:I would argue that "General" is pretty damned off-topic.
I was going to say that, but I forgot. :ehem:
TechnoCat wrote:And I personally like that there is no off-topic board. It means everyone has to talk off-topic.
Fixed.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Wait? What? On-topic? That's soooo 2008, all we do is off-topic, to prove my point: The pie was great!

EDIT: Just so you know, we set the off-topic trend, we were already off-topic in 2008.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Packing is tedious works guys.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

bartbes wrote:Wait? What? On-topic? That's soooo 2008, all we do is off-topic, to prove my point: The pie was great!

EDIT: Just so you know, we set the off-topic trend, we were already off-topic in 2008.
The on-topic post is a lie.

And I wouldn't know about 2008. I only began stalking you guys this year.
Pliskin09
Citizen

Post by Pliskin09 »

i mean a board that we can discuss things not related to love. i know thats what general is for but it still doesnt feel right to make a post about something unrelated to gaming here. to me:

general = general discussion on love. how things could be improved for example
support/dev = when you run into problems using one of love's functions, you come here to ask
projects/demos = post your work here

if i should treat general as a place to post anything not related to love, then i will. :oops:
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

I recently got a wired Xbox 360 controller which I use with my computer. It works really well!
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Pliskin09 wrote:general = general discussion on love. how things could be improved for example
support/dev = when you run into problems using one of love's functions, you come here to ask
projects/demos = post your work here
I always saw it differently. What you put under "General", I would say belongs to "Support & Development".

But I don't see the need for such a rigid board structure. This is a small community, which isn't flooded by tons of people asking questions in the wrong places. It is not that important in the LÖVE CLUB. I usually don't see in what section a post is placed anyway, since I bookmarked the View active topics page. ;)