save system

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
jjmafiae
Party member

save system

Post by jjmafiae »

im making an open world game( 2d,singleplayer) and i need a save system can someone help me?
raen79
Citizen

Re: save system

Post by raen79 »

Well, there are a few things you could do ;) You could tell the system to save every few seconds or minutes with love.timer.getTime and write the player's position and, you know items, quests etc... in a file with love.filesystem.write . You could also just have a menu that will pop up when the player presses on ESC and there he could save. Then you will use the same system of writing it in a file. Is that what you were looking for?
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

yes, thanks :D
dreadkillz
Party member

Post by dreadkillz »

You can save your stuff in a table, and serialize it into a file. Serialization is a process that turns something into strings so it can be converted back into data. You would need to create a function or use a library that converts the strings into data again.

Some topics: link
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

jjmafiae wrote:im making an open world game( 2d,singleplayer) and i need a save system can someone help me?
Bascially, you want to serialize your data, and then use the love.filesystem functions to save and load the data.

For more structural, smaller, and faster serialization formats, consider using:
  1. JSON4Lua (My Favorite!)
  2. Other Lua serialization libraries.
For more legible serialization formats, consider using:
  1. an INI parser (bartbes has a nice one here.)
  2. XML (perhaps something like this?)
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

If pieces of the world are changing in some meaningful way (like Minecraft/Minicraft/Terraria), then break down your world into logical units (sometimes called chunks) and save them independently. If, for instance, the player walks too far away from a chunk, that would be a good time to save it, and possibly remove it from memory (though, this probably isn't neccessary unless the world is going to be exceedingly large).