Rigid Boy 2

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Luke100000
Party member

Rigid Boy 2

Post by Luke100000 »

Rigid Boy 2 is the second part of Rigid Boy, with more blocks, levels and effects.

Hey there! Welcome to Rigid Boy 2!
Rigid Boy 2 is an 8-bit Game, designed and created by myself and Murii.
Travel through many different biomes and try to get as far as you can!
Your whole environment is filled with Spikes, Lava, High Places and some Monsters. Be careful! You can die and/or get killed by each one of those creeps.

Download Rigid Boy from my website!

The original game has been created by Murii.
Original Game

Features:
*Many Worlds, and there will be more
*100+ different blocks with lot's of traps
*different environments: rain, sunshine, night, cave, snow, ...
*cool particle effects
*beautiful sounds
*Multiplayer
*uploading own worlds
*Lighting
*doors, lever, pressure plates

When you find bugs or new ideas, please tell them to me.

controls:

WASD/Arrow keys: Movement

F2: screenshot
F1: debugging
F4: time check
F11: change camera mode
Last edited by Luke100000 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:21 am, edited 17 times in total.
jvdm
Prole

Re: Rigid Boy 2

Post by jvdm »

dig it man!! quite tricky to navigate which I assume is the only mechanic of the game?
Luke100000
Party member

Post by Luke100000 »

Please post your opinion of Rigid Boy 2, what can I improve? When I see, that someone shows interest of this game, I will work harder for further versions.

You see, I've created links to the screenshots. Is there a way to show them automatically without uploading an attachment?

Now a question to the game: How can I draw about 500 blocks with best perfomance? The texture can change itself (lava).
In the moment I'm trying to draw blocks like stone, dirt, .... with sprites. When I do this, lava have to has an other animation because of a different alpha-channel per block.

Thanks!
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

Good gameplay,nice atmosphere,I recommend it!
Luke100000
Party member

Post by Luke100000 »

Rigid Boy is now on IndieDB!
http://www.indiedb.com/games/rigid-boy-2
Connorses
Citizen

Post by Connorses »

Welp, I've beaten I think 6 levels and I can safely say this is one of the hardest platformers I've played in quite a while. I can see that the character was intentionally hard to control since he bounces on everything, and frankly it gets pretty annoying, especially if you're used to the controls in games like Super Meat Boy. Not only can you miss a jump from bouncing off of walls, but you if you don't hold down jump when you're hitting the ground you have to wait for the guy to stop bouncing before you can jump again. The beginning of level 7 (I think it's level 7, in the cave) requires you to jump through a small gap at the beginning every time you die, and it's hard to jump through a tiny gap when you bounce off the edges, so the beginning of this level does nothing but slow you down. I will admit that jumping around without stopping by holding the spacebar can be pretty entertaining, when it works.

Also, you can die from falling too far. Sometimes this mechanic creates interesting jumping puzzles, and other times it's just frustrating. If you forget about this little fall damage detail, you can take the wrong route in the middle of a level and then you have to start the level over and try another route.

It doesn't help that the music is rather dull and almost sad sounding. It stopped looping the music after a while during gameplay, though, so I just played my own music in the background. I really like the graphics, however. It's got a nice feel to it, the particles are fun and there's even a little bit of lighting. The intro music is pretty cool, and overall I would say the game is presented well. It just takes a long time to get through levels.

I would love to have the option to use the arrow keys as well as WASD, since I tend to play right-handed.

I will say, though, that I am getting used to the controls and the game is interesting enough that I will probably keep trying to beat it. I can see you took the time to make quite a few levels and the game has had a lot of work put into it.
Connorses
Citizen

Post by Connorses »

Follow-up post:
OKAY so this demo was actually much shorter than I expected, I've beaten the rest of the levels. It actually got pretty entertaining once I beat World 1 and got on to some easier levels. I highly recommend taking most of World 1 and eventually placing it a bit farther ahead in the game. The zombie level was neat because once you collect keys, the doors stay open even if you die which means you have this sort of multiple-part level. Of course, it's also kind of weird because if you stay in the spawn area the zombies just kill themselves on the floor spikes and are never a threat.

The rain particle effect looks really cool!

I want to see a level where it's actually easier for you if you intentionally bounce off things, it would make the weird bouncy mechanics worth the trouble. xD
Luke100000
Party member

Post by Luke100000 »

Thanks for playing Rigid Boy, Connorses!
I can see that the character was intentionally hard to control since he bounces on everything
Yes, sometimes it's too bouncy. I will add an easy and a hard mode, in the easy one the bounce effect is much smaller and the character is easier to control.
It doesn't help that the music is rather dull and almost sad sounding. It stopped looping the music after a while during gameplay
This music is the original of Rigid Boy 1. And I thought I had looped the music... I will check this.
I would love to have the option to use the arrow keys as well as WASD, since I tend to play right-handed.
I will add an option menu, for changing controls, graphics and all the other stuff.
You have to use the WASD keys because you can control the second character with the arrow keys.
but you if you don't hold down jump when you're hitting the ground you have to wait for the guy to stop bouncing before you can jump again.
On my PC it's working, I will check this.
The zombie level was neat because once you collect keys, the doors stay open even if you die
I think I will add an option for each level, is doors/colorblocks will be reset after death. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad.
OKAY so this demo was actually much shorter than I expected, I've beaten the rest of the levels.
There are only so few levels, because...
... I'm working on a better level-menu
... I had no time :ehem:
... My brother makes the level
The rain particle effect looks really cool!
Thanks! :awesome:
Connorses
Citizen

Post by Connorses »

Luke100000 wrote:Thanks for playing Rigid Boy, Connorses!
I can see that the character was intentionally hard to control since he bounces on everything
Yes, sometimes it's too bouncy. I will add an easy and a hard mode, in the easy one the bounce effect is much smaller and the character is easier to control.
Oddly enough, after I made that post I noticed that there's a secret LEVEL EDITOR hidden in the Options menu and I played around with it a bit. I actually made a level where you kind of need to bounce off walls on purpose and it was pretty entertaining. I don't think you should change the character physics in Hard Mode. In fact, it might be a bad idea to change the character parameters at all in a game where you are designing and testing levels using those specific parameters. That's my opinion, anyways. IT'S NOT SO BAD ONCE YOU'RE USED TO IT. Falling through precise gaps is just kinda tricky.
Luke100000
Party member

Post by Luke100000 »

Connorses wrote:
Luke100000 wrote:Thanks for playing Rigid Boy, Connorses!
Oddly enough, after I made that post I noticed that there's a secret LEVEL EDITOR hidden in the Options menu and I played around with it a bit. I actually made a level where you kind of need to bounce off walls on purpose and it was pretty entertaining. I don't think you should change the character physics in Hard Mode. In fact, it might be a bad idea to change the character parameters at all in a game where you are designing and testing levels using those specific parameters. That's my opinion, anyways. IT'S NOT SO BAD ONCE YOU'RE USED TO IT. Falling through precise gaps is just kinda tricky.
OK, no easy-mode :awesome:

I hide that editor, because it is buggy. I created it for me to make levels. Could crash by using ä, ö, ü,... by searching blocks...