LOVE on Raspberry Pi?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ZBoyer1000
Prole

LOVE on Raspberry Pi?

Post by ZBoyer1000 »

Is there an operating system for the Raspberry Pi 3 that works with LOVE 2d? If so, what is the best operating system for it?
:ultraglee:
XxHAMADEHxX
Prole

Re: LOVE on Raspberry Pi?

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

The easiest way to use Love on the Pi is to activate the experimental OpenGl drivers on the Raspbian bios(see link and video).Then use

Code: Select all

Sudo apt-get install love
However you will get an older version of Love. The only way to get a new one is to compile it yourself. You can also try pilove(I have not used this myself) http://pilove.mitako.eu/

(Open GL Drivers)
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... n-release/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkHSqUDavRQ

If you want a new version of love then use the readme.
This is how I did it.
Get the Love source code

Install dependencies

While in the source directory put these commands in the terminal

platform/unix/automagic

./configure

make

platform/unix/automagic
./configure
make

Also if you use ZeroBrane Studio as your IDE then you can compile it on the Pi aswell

This is what I did
Download the ZeroBrane master zip and extract
change directory(cd) to your /ZeroBrane/build folder
put this in the terminal and use sudo. I believe my first attempt at compiling(or whatever I am supposed to be doing) failed because of no sudo)
sudo ./build-linux.sh all
maybe this too but I cannot confirm if it really did anything as my first attempted at compiling ZB failed(I used this code on the failed attempt)
sudo ./build-linux-prep-deb.sh all
if there are no errors then running zbstudio.sh should work
edit: I think the GTK dev library is also needed
Have Fun!
ZBoyer1000
Prole

Post by ZBoyer1000 »

That's pretty neat! I will consider this, but there is one last question. Is it possible to install LOVE 2d with Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview? :)
XxHAMADEHxX
Prole

Post by XxHAMADEHxX »

Unknown friend Someone else has to answer. You could try using the readme for compiling and see what happens.
ZBoyer1000
Prole

Post by ZBoyer1000 »

I'll try that. If it does not work, I will have to mess around for awhile. Anyways, thanks for your help.
MachineCode
Citizen

Post by MachineCode »

ZeroBrane can be compiled as the above poster mentioned. The only tricky thing to watch is that you thoroughly search for the required wx dev libraries - otherwise the build will fail at the end.

Also, you need to install PulseAudio - which is not installed by default.

For Love2d to work, you will need to enable the experimental OpenGL drivers (Anholt Drivers) so love works in an x window. This seems to be quite stable, except the window manager is having a few issues with resizing windows. The worst culprit at the moment is Terminal - try dragging that out to a big window and you will get a system hang. Besides that, I ran a few love2d programs from ZeroBrane and so far no issues at all. It is working just like a "big" linux system. The RPi 3 is not stressed, so it should be possible to do a lot on this platform.

Next step is to compile 0.10.1 and try that out. Does anyone know how to compile 0.10.1 from source and have it replace the repository version so it runs from any directory and ZeroBrane uses it by default?
Stifu
Party member

Post by Stifu »

ZBoyer1000 wrote:Is there an operating system for the Raspberry Pi 3 that works with LOVE 2d? If so, what is the best operating system for it?
:ultraglee:
I use RetroPie. It seems to work nicely.
Zabuyaki, our upcoming beat 'em up: https://www.zabuyaki.com
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

> Next step is to compile 0.10.1 and try that out. Does anyone know how to compile 0.10.1 from source and have it replace the repository version so it runs from any directory and ZeroBrane uses it by default?

@MachineCode, I can't answer the first question, but in terms of configuring ZeroBrane Studio, it checks some common locations and PATH to find love executable, but you can always configure it to use the custom location by setting path.love2d value in the config to the full name of the executable (see here: https://studio.zerobrane.com/doc-genera ... reter-path).
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

MachineCode wrote:For Love2d to work, you will need to enable the experimental OpenGL drivers (Anholt Drivers) so love works in an x window.
love 0.10 will work with OpenGL ES 2 (not using X11) on the Raspberry Pi, as long as SDL2 has been built correctly to prefer the rpi's VideoCore APIs instead of X11.
MachineCode
Citizen

Post by MachineCode »

@slime Yes - love actually works better with OpenGL ES 2 than with the X drivers, however it doesn't have the convenience of running it in a normal window like a typical PC.

The trick is that SDL2 doesn't seem to support an easy way to switch between the Gl and the ES modes. On the Raspberry Pi it makes sense to use both modes because depending on the application you might want a normal X version or a full screen ES application. The new Raspberry Pi 3 is capable of using the OpenGL drivers and behaving like (close to) a normal desktop.

The Raspberry Pi Zero on the other hand has the same GPU, but a single core and 512M of RAM - not enough to support the OpenGL driver. Despite this, a RPi Zero in ES mode could easily function as a simple console. At $5 for a Pi Zero you could pretty much put an SD card in it and treat it like a Game Cartridge. Love makes a lot of sense for this as it lets you do a lot very quickly.