Looking for advice

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
maromaro
Prole

Looking for advice

Post by maromaro »

Hello, i am new to the framework and i don't know if there is any best practices i should follow or anything like that, for example what approach if best OOP or ECS. so i would appreciate any advice.
ReFreezed
Party member

Re: Looking for advice

Post by ReFreezed »

My advice is to not listen to any advice. :)

(Seriously though, everyone's got their own programming style and there's no right or wrong. While one "practice" works well for some, it doesn't work well for others. My actual advice is to look for your own style by doing programming instead of asking random people about what will just end up being a bunch of subjective opinions.)
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
maromaro
Prole

Post by maromaro »

ReFreezed wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:14 pm My advice is to not listen to any advice. :)

(Seriously though, everyone's got their own programming style and there's no right or wrong. While one "practice" works well for some, it doesn't work well for others. My actual advice is to look for your own style by doing programming instead of asking random people about what will just end up being a bunch of subjective opinions.)
Thank you i appreciate your response :D , and i will indeed star developing my own Programming Style.
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

I wanna start the discussion (because I naturally want someone to disagree with this).

If you're new to programming in general, OOP it's intuitive.
If you're quite advanced, ECS is a good option since we're in a generation that says "OOP is Dead".
maromaro
Prole

Post by maromaro »

sphyrth wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:14 pm I wanna start the discussion (because I naturally want someone to disagree with this).

If you're new to programming in general, OOP it's intuitive.
If you're quite advanced, ECS is a good option since we're in a generation that says "OOP is Dead".
Hello i appreciate your response :), i am pretty comfortable with OPP concepts so i naturally tend to use the OOP approach even tho i am not that much of a new programmer. so i don't think that it is a matter of beginner or advanced programmer it's just preference and what approach you used to and "master".
Nikki
Citizen

Post by Nikki »

My advice would be to not upfront pick OOP or ECS, both have their advantages for specific cases but none of them are necessary at all.

Lua is a prototype based language meaning you dont need all the OOP jazz at all, and when you arent developing a RPG with countless enemy types and effects i personally dont see much of a gain in using ECS either.

The thing that ECS does better then OOP (imo) is that it favors Composition over Inheritance.
but to compose some gameobject of smaller parts you dont need ECS at all.
maromaro
Prole

Post by maromaro »

Nikki wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:13 pm My advice would be to not upfront pick OOP or ECS, both have their advantages for specific cases but none of them are necessary at all.

Lua is a prototype based language meaning you dont need all the OOP jazz at all, and when you arent developing a RPG with countless enemy types and effects i personally dont see much of a gain in using ECS either.

The thing that ECS does better then OOP (imo) is that it favors Composition over Inheritance.
but to compose some gameobject of smaller parts you dont need ECS at all.
Hi thank you for the advice i appreciate you :ultrahappy: .
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

My advice which I read about in a book about game programming is to never reinvent the wheel(i.e. Don't waste time making tools that are already made and just focus on your game).
Luckily there are alot of tools for love2d, such as bump, stalker-X, rotLove, jumper, etc.
For more libraries just go to awesome love2d on github. Here's the link:
https://github.com/love2d-community/awesome-love2d
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
maromaro
Prole

Post by maromaro »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:37 am My advice which I read about in a book about game programming is to never reinvent the wheel(i.e. Don't waste time making tools that are already made and just focus on your game).
Luckily there are alot of tools for love2d, such as bump, stalker-X, rotLove, jumper, etc.
For more libraries just go to awesome love2d on github. Here's the link:
https://github.com/love2d-community/awesome-love2d
Roger that.Thank you i appreciate you.